Underground Subway

Hi guys.
This is the first project I post in Blender Artists, and the first project I post at all.
I applied a lot of things I learnt from the blenderguru.com tutorial, but tried to make it as unique as possible.
Anyway…
It took me 2 days to model, and 3 to texture, only because there were some troubles I ran into, but got adapted to them.
And, it took 1hr 30 min to render, with ray shadows at 16 samples
I don’t know why I did that, but, that’s not the point

Ok, here’s the raw render:

I’m posting it because a friend told me she liked the raw render more than the composite one. Unlike me :stuck_out_tongue:

And here is the composite one:

I wanted to give it a cold atmosphere because I was planning to make it a montage, but a don’t have a camera.
And I don’t even think that would be possible, because the scene is not realistic at all…
But in my opinion it looks cooler with a cold atmosphere (irony)

I hope to hear comments about this
Good comments would be awesome
And criticism is more than welcome
:smiley:

Nice try! Well done.
Some more love on textures? Less on compositor?

Thanks! :smiley:
I actually had some trouble while texturing
And, the tubes at the sides, and the rails are not textured as I intended to.
Also, you can see the pattern in the ground. I think I could have made the plane a little wider before adding the array modifier
And… I love the compositor
What I’ve learnt from Andrew Price, is that it’s almost never wrong to try to push the scene further when doing post-pro, as long as you don’t go overboard.
And…
I like to think I didn’t.
but…
Did I?

Good picture, but I would say yes, I think you overdid the Post-Pro. I would just go with doing what you did with the lights and do way less blur.

I cannot say it better than michalis. Anyway, you got the feeling, a bit more work and we’ll have a great image.

Yeh, I prefer the raw render. Only thing that benefits in the composted image is the rails.

In the raw image the rails look like they have a problem where the array joins them. The texture repetition is very noticable. The light/signal looks wrong as it seems to lack depth.

Overall a great render though; well done for first project.

BLender guru

Thanks guys
I didn’t really notice the joints in the rails until now
and… now that I think about it, I could have placed the right rail on the part of the ground where the pattern is seen :confused:
Also it seems that DoF and lens distortion don’t go along very well
hah
Anyway…
Thanks for the feedback you all, that’s the why one posts their projects in places like this
:smiley:

I had placed it in the “Finished Projects” folder
I think I’m gonna take it out from there and fix those things
@Zander Would you say what would make it look better, please? :smiley:

Looks way better after postpro. People shouldn’t overlook post processing. I find it funny when people brag that their renders are straight out the render engine. It doesn’t give the image any additional value. Quite the opposite.

Thanks @sssampo
Post-pro is also very important IMO
No project is ever done without polishing and putting some little details that push the scene further
And post-production is one of the things I enjoy the most of Blender
But I think I went too much under compositing and not enough under texturing. :confused:
Gonna get that fixed right away!

The rails look totally wrong. They should not be quite as flat as that on the top and look squashed height-wise or perhaps too wide if that makes sense. The proportions are definitely out anyway. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rail_profile.svg for rail profiles. Also I’m not sure what the thing on the left is supposed to be (the thing with the red clips). Looks like another rail so I suspect this is meant to be a traction current rail in which it is too small and needs to be held off the ground on insulated pots, neither am I sure what that thin wire thing in the middle of the track is. The tunnel itself looks too wide based on the gauge as trains usually fit a lot closer than you would think and are used to push air along the tunnels like the plunger in a bike pump in order to ventilate the railway especially in single track tube tunnels (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Why_London_Underground_is_nicknamed_The_Tube.jpg).
The tunnel lights are too small as are some of the cables on the wall or there should be some larger ones (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/oiyou/5063215611/ which shows a double width cut and cover tunnel but you get the idea of the relative size of running rails, traction current rails, tunnel lights, the cable run etc and also, if you look carefully, the size of the cable taking power to the traction current rails (too often people make these way too small but they are carrying up to 750V DC depending on the railway). Also this last pic is the London Underground so there is a fourth rail. Most DC railways have one traction rail known as the third rail but LU has two, positive on the outside and negative down the middle.
I quite like the texturing but everything looks too clean. Dirt including brake dust makes tube tunnels very nearly black in places. The signal would be covered in it too (is that a shunt signal?)

Wow
Now, that’s critiquing
:stuck_out_tongue:
I find those observations really helpful thanks!
I looked at some reference images at first, just to see what there is in a train tunnel
But I think I never checked the proportions of anything
Ok, my mistake.
Also, I didn’t think of all that dust.
Now I’m gonna take into consideration so many factors when texturing everything.
I just went minimum
:stuck_out_tongue:
Thank you, @oiyou :smiley:
and… just for curiosity…
Are you engineer or something?
:3

No, I’m not an engineer, just a train driver. The big prob I have with a lot of Railway/road images is that they don’t look like what I see day to day. Having said that I’m sure most look OK to commuters and other railway users but all I see are errors and problems. Nothing to do with the artist’s use of Blender just it really ain’t like that and anyone who works there knows it ain’t
Andy

I knew you had to do something with trains :stuck_out_tongue:
I agree with you.
Maybe the lack of approach to the reality is what makes 3D scenes look unreal.
And it’s great and really cool that people like you, that know and can point out those errors, make us take that approach.
Again, thank you, @oiyou
thank you very much :smiley:

Very good you could do less of the compositing nice try.