From time to time i m poking Blender 2.8 builds and i m, like others as well, having hard time to understand the new render layer system, collections and workspace.
I m making this thread so we can understand together the new system. I know that Blender 2.8 is on very wip but i believe that since the system is already there we can talk, share and understand it.
I have been poking Dalai and Severin in IRC from time to time and this is what i have understood so far:
- An object can belongs to 1 or many collections and a collection belongs to active selected render Layer when a collection was created,…
- To create a object and put it on a given collection, which will be placed in a given render Layer we have to do this:
- Create a new render Layer from the scene panel and select that render render Layer from the render layer top bar menu, and then in the outliner pick the Active Render Layer display type and add a collection. With collection selected add on object.
- And to hide an object from 3d viewport we should:
-make sure that the object’s render Layer is selected from scene panel and render layer top bar menu, and then hide the collection, where the object belongs, and hide it as well from the master collection.
I don’t know about you but for me this is too much work for something we have been doing with 2 clicks (hit m -> select layer) :spin: May be i m missing something here.
Did you guys used Render Layer, collection and workspace? How does it fit into your workflow? How much do you understand it?
Edit: After reading other people feeds i just realized that i didn’t mention the positive side of the new system here is some that i have noticed:
- Collections are like the old layer system that we have in 2.7 series, but now we can rename them and rearrange them.
- We can have a lot of collections in Render Layers.