Understanding new layer render system, collection and workspace

(Indy_logic) #21

What if the list had little numbers by each name and you hit the number of the collection you wanted? Would that work?

It would be perfect if we can assign to each collection one bit of the traditional system. And could be better, because we could have custom “1,2,3,4,5,…” shotcuts to each layers depending of the moment of production.

(zeauro) #23

Objects have arbitrary names and scripts about objects are working. There is no reason that scripts done for 2.8 layers will not be possible.
Maybe 2.7 scripts about layers will have to be adapted and some would simply become obsolete.
But I sincerely don’t think something as common as naming could stop scripts writers.

(draguu) #24

Totally agree with erick here ,
earlier it was like 2 clicks and now lots of stuff to do

i think , implanting new layer system is some extent good and needed for sure , but that simple layer widget which we have in 2.7x is awesome too , if devs can keep both thing then it would be awesome ,

(erickBlender) #25

New updates https://code.blender.org/2017/09/view-layers-and-collections/

(carlosan) #26

Hi, i like to know:

• How to create overrides in render layers ?
  • How to create Layers mask as 2.79 ?
  • Last buildbot > View layer is empty, any changes ?
    ViewLayer
    Thx

(erickBlender) #27

I would like to know this as well. Just a coincidence, today i played a bit with compositing, so many things have changed and difficult to find stuff as well :frowning:

(Indy_logic) #28

Hmmm. There used to be a design task but I can’t seem to find it. Anyway, I can tell you that it’s not been implemented at all yet. There is a new panel coming where you can create new render layers and associate different collections with them and different properties with the collections. The last time I looked it worked mostly just like the previous system but the look of the panel was different. I’ll see if I can’t find that page somewhere.

EDIT:
Found it: https://developer.blender.org/T54792

and

(Thornydre) #29

Good news about the outliner :

As an indicator of the objects that are in a collection for example, we will have a number instead multiple icons.

Blender 2.8 User Interface/Usability
(Mr_Flamey) #30

That’s a nice change indeed! Hopefully there will be some more work on the outliner to improve how it works based on feedback from users. Still feels like a lot of space is taken up by icons though, especially now we have the edit mesh toggle icons (maybe that implementation is WIP though).

(• I don't speak English "by default", so... 😉) #31

Funny… what’s with this theme (blueberry?) I don’t get it why many people is using this theme lol… Looks pretty dead to me :rofl: :v:

(Thornydre) #32

It looks like blueberry, actually the default theme will be closer to this one, but less saturated, I think it can be good :slight_smile: But it’s just a personal opinion :smiley:

I think the outliner is not really done yet, there are a few bugs left, the icons will change for sure, but I don’t if they will change anything about the size or the placement of the icons. But anyway there has been a lot of improvement concerning the outliner already :slight_smile: Sure it will keep going this way in the future :slight_smile:

Edit : wow that’s a lot of smiley, am I that happy about Blender ? haha

(Zuorion) #33

That looks like useful trifle.
There could be also number of selected objects eg. in upper upper right (and total numers of objects in collection on bottom right).

Anyway. Is that plane have multiple meshes :face_with_raised_eyebrow: as it sugest consistency? (or plane have mesh that have 37 multiusers).

(• I don't speak English "by default", so... 😉) #34

BF could make a competition for the new default theme. :wink:

(Dalai Felinto) #35

This is a mockup, but you can try it with this patch: https://developer.blender.org/D3497.

The plane with “37 meshes” is simply an oversight in the mockup. You can also see that I stripped the Collections from their auto-generated names, to reduce the amount of numbers in the image (thus I ended up with a lot of Collections with the same “Collection” name which is also not possible in Blender).

(English is not my native language) #36

My request, more numbers:
outliner_more_numbers
That column could be resizable or with the possibility of being hidden if possible.
Mouse over on some item shows the whole number of the collection if it does not fit into the current column size.

(srikanth0126) #37

Alt numbers for nested collections and numbers for collections would be great

(English is not my native language) #38

In 2.8 we have infinite collections, I am not sure why it has been decided to keep the system with “0” as a collection “10”. Perhaps collections and nested collections both should always be entered with a modifier key, which could be Alt. You press Alt key and hold down while you enter the collection number, for example 25 for collection 25, or 25.2.1 for that subcollection. The selection could be confirmed only when release Alt key. In this way we could even use numpad, which would be faster to write the dot “.”

(srikanth0126) #39

I mean if you enter holding alt means enter into the sub collection of that number.for example if without alt 2 means collection 2.with alt 2 means sub collection 2. Then you can easily browse like normal collection inside collection without alt for that session.

(srikanth0126) #40

Check out @PabloVazquez_’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/PabloVazquez_/status/1009954372199968768?s=09