Understanding Radiosity - Blender unti etc.

Hi

I sometimes get quite good results with
the Radiosity in Blender.

However I will not say I seriously understand
the meaning of all the buttons behind it.

My main problem are ARTIFACTS as visible in the radiosity solution.

The Hemicube as far as I understand is some sort of resolution for faces
but what all the other buttons really mean is way beyond my comprehension.
Also what the Limit Visualizer should be useful for I cannot follow.
I guess it has to do something with the resolution - but in which way.

Any body here who could show some mercy with me and enlight me?

http://www.jrkuhnen.de/fip2/blender/problems/comp.jpg

http://www.jrkuhnen.de/fip2/blender/problems/settings.jpg

well for the mesh subdivibe it more…or smooth it. that’s why there is some crapy shapes. :slight_smile:

I also notice that I get really poor results unless my light source has been subdivided.

trinagles dont seem to work well i think because the shading is sort of smoothed and averaged with radiosity. Its so long time since i experimented and learned to use Blender radiosity that i cannot be much help.
I think the scene have to be small enough in overall size, also the minimum whatever small enough and maximum big enough. Its fast to see if the outcome will be allright when you look in wireframe mode the progress of radiosity simulation and take notice in how the light bounces, if it bounces badly then no good if it bounces like you examine real light bouncing then its good.

edit-> hey i am guessing the iterations was too few

These might be the most helpful to understand in order to achieve the best shading results:

• Adaptive subdivisionSince the size of the patches and elements in a Mesh defines the quality of the Radiosity solution, automatic subdivision schemes have been developed to define the optimal size of Patches and Elements. Blender has two automatic subdivision methods:

1. Subdivide-shoot Patches. By shooting energy to the environment, and comparing the hemicube values with the actual mathematical ‘form factor’ value, errors can be detected that indicate a need for further subdivision of the Patch. The results are smaller Patches and a longer solving time, but a higher realism of the solution.

2. Subdivide-shoot Elements. By shooting energy to the environment, and detecting high energy changes (gradients) inside a Patch, the Elements of this Patch are subdivided one extra level. The results are smaller Elements and a longer solving time and maybe more aliasing, but a higher level of detail.