Underwater Scene (Blender 2.8)

Hello,
I am trying to create a scene with a mermaid underwater for an art project. The trouble I am struggling with is the fact that you can see the HDRI in the distance. If I made it transparent in the film properties, I think the surface of the water wouldn’t look as nice because you can sort of see the sky through it. What I’m trying to do is get the water to fade to blue in the distance. Like this picture.

Here is what I have tried. :confounded:

• A setup for the volumetric light I found on stackexchange but I had to keep the density value low because it was affecting the whole scene.

• I thought maybe combining it with a mist pass. Here is the mist pass I got.

I used this tutorial for reference. Based on the tutorial’s result, I expected the anchor and the mermaid placeholder to be much darker and some of the water surface to be visible. When I plugged the mist into the mix factor, the anchor and placeholder were colored blue. Also, it looked like a bad cut and paste in photoshop, perhaps because I have depth of field active?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I already have the mermaid modeled and ready to link in to the scene, so this may be my last obstacle.

Isn’t getting a mist pass, like you need it, just a matter of adjusting the start and depth values for the mist pass (in the world tab)?