Uneven bevel issue

Hi all, if anyone can confirm this issue on their end, pls help. Its driving me nuts. Down below is a short vid showing the bevel problem.

Introducing a simple bevel in “width” mode is producing an uneven result, albeit a very small scale of unevenness. I’ve applied scale, rotate, location, gotten rid of parents and orphan data, etc. I can replicate this on a simple cube, and i’ve done this on 3 separate computers with the official 2.8 release. Pls help!

No, actually I cannot reproduce it. For me it works as it should. But I might need more details. Can you show the complete settings for the operator (the box which open at the bottom left). Also can I see a blend file with the state just before doing the beveling?

Yea sure, let me just upload it in a bit. In the mean time, i made another recording showing it done from a simple cube.

bevel_issue_example.blend (688.1 KB)

Here is the file, just a simple cube, and I duplicated that cube and move it the right, and tried to replicate the bevel issue in a simple manner. If you look at the bevels from the top down orthographically, you’ll see some vertices of the bevel are inconsistent either on the x or y axis.

Ah, okay, now I got it. I don’t understand the exact method how it is determined, but there seems to be a misconception on how the displacements depend on the neighboring edge lengths. If you disable loop slide, it becomes way more noticable.

Some notes:

• it doesn’t happen for me when I use the Percent method, but with all other ones
  • it also doesn’t happen, if I bevel the middle part separately:
    – select the upper and lower edge and bevel them together
    – select the middle edge (without the diagonal edges also) and bevel this one
    – fix the extra geometry at the corners

Both give results which you may not want, I guess. Couldn’t find a way to make the combined Width method work.

Here is the result of the latter approach mentioned (on the upper left edge in top down view).

bevel_issue_example.blend (691.2 KB)

Thanks for confirming that I wasn’t going crazy haha. I knew it wasn’t just my computer. There should be a new “percent with respect to initial width” mode for the bevel, otherwise why even bevel if its not uniform.

Anyways, this is a huge bummer, now I know Blender cannot create a bevel on a series of edges/vertices along an edge loop with uniform precision. Horrible for precise work.

I wonder if other 3d modeling programs have the same issue?

The ‘width’ specification says what the perpendicular distance between edges should be after the bevel, not the distance that a vertex slides along one of the non-beveled edges that it is attached to.

Sometimes it is impossible to make the width satisfy that constraint and also have the ends match up along the non-beveled edges that they cross. This is one of those cases. What you probably want is what some others have asked for, and is on my Todo list for bevel: something that is like ‘Percent’ but rather is the absolute distance to slide along the unbeveled crossing edges. Note that that will make the vertices line up as you want but will lead to the strips along the beveled edges having an uneven width (one end will be wider than the other) in the case of your examples. Right now, bevel believes it more important to try to keep th width uniform, but various people (including you now) have shown that you care more about even sliding distance along the unbeveled edges. So I will implement that other mode. (But am waiting right now until after we merge this year’s GSoC Bevel project into master.)

Thats a shame, I hope this is amended really soon, its a small discrepancy, but precision is always appreciated. Can we expect this new mode to be implemented in the next following weeks or months?

Somewhere between weeks and months. Hard to predict, sorry,