Unigine DX11 Benchmark - woohooo!

Not really related to Blender, but to game development.
This is the very first DX11 benchmark.

Soon we can make hyper-realistic games with Blender (and DX11 game engines).
Really nice :)!

Blender is OpenGL, not DirectX.

That’s why I was referring to DX11 game engines. With DX11 and it’s new tesselation feature you can make very high polygon models in real time.

I just wanted to show you the next evolution of games. I cannot wait to use a high res version of a sculpted asset in a DX11 engine.

Those are some quite pretty scenes!

besides that, well, i might as well say it before Endi does:

It won’t be easier to make “hyper realistic games” because of these features. perhaps a
little bit faster, but just as hard. It still takes a great deal a talent to pull such things off,
just as it always has.

A talented artist could create beautiful and realistic scenes using the BGE of today,
and an untalented artist can just create the same so-so works he/she can now, unless he/she gets some more practise of course :).

Are the features showcased in these videos getting implemented in blender?
You write about it as if it will happen quite soon?

No they won’t. As I said earlier: This is a new feature of Direct X 11, which is licensed by Microsoft (so it is Windows Vista/7 only). It’s not related to Blender in any development or whatever. I just think it’s interesting, what will be possible in the future in real-time. Since Blender can do “high” resolution sculpting I thought it would interest some people. For example Blender could be used for creating asset of a DX11 game mod.

I don’t know if this will be implemented in Blender sometime. But it would be really awesome ;)!

You’re right that it does not really depend on how strong the engine is. The latest example is Batman: Arkham Asylum, which has “only” DX9 graphics but is absolutely beautiful. What I meant is: Higher degree of detail (and it’s even the same calculating speed - if not even faster if I’m not mistaken) is possible with DX11.

Soon this Unigine version will be available to linux (opengl) too, as the previous versions of Unigine was.

The Unigine Heaven Linux version will carry full tessellation support enabled, we’re told.

This is like a real-time version of Kai Kostack’s adaptive subdivision modifier patch for Blender.

Blender would’ve already had this (a non real-time version) for the Internal Renderer had the code for that patch got written in an acceptable form.