Unity 3.4.2 FBX Importing

Hello,

First post here, i’ve searched around for help with this and couldn’t find a solution apologies if its been asked before.

I’ve just started with Blender with the intention of building resources for use in Unity.

I have created a simple building in blender (2.6.2) and exported it to FBX, when I import into Unity looks like this:

Some fiddling around with the normal settings in Unity gets it looking almost right:

But still not correct, there are issues with some faces etc. I have also tried all the various smoothing options in the FBX exporter in Blender to no avail.

Any help on what is causing this would be much appreciated! For comparison it looks like this in Blender:

Thanks!

I do a lot of work that goes into Unity.
You want to set the blender view to glsl shading. This will give you a decent idea what it will look like in Unity.
Fbx export ignores faces you set as flat or smooth so set everything smooth to start.
The simple way to get the results you want is with an edge split modifier. It will automatically apply on export.
You can also use a bevel but it will increase your poly count.
The other option is to manually split edges or faces using “y” or “v”.

Every mesh that Unity open doesn´t come as Flat, only Smooth, even setting flat faces. So you need to set Smooth for the whole object (to easily identify to “fix”), mark Sharp edges and use Edge Split modifier. Works perfectly!

Thanks for the advice guys i’ll give it a go!

I may come back for further help!

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, using the edge Split Modifier worked perfectly. Unfortunately I have now hit another hurdle!

I am using the Unity Shadow Volumes Toolkit (http://gustavolsson.squarespace.com/shadow-volumes-toolkit/) in order to have shadows in Unity Free, unfortunately this only works with a closed mesh and the Split Edge Modifier makes the model not closed.

If any one has any ideas how to get round this it would be much appreciated!

I don’t know much about getting shadows in the free version of Unity, but if you need to have a closed mesh with controlled smoothing you can do that with the bevel modifier. Just set the width low on the bevel modifier depending on how sharp you want the edges. Also use “angle” in the bevel modifier to control where the bevel happens. This will reduce a lot of useless polygons and improve the smoothing along flat areas.