Unix render?

(tclancey) #1

Hi folks.

I have a couple of Raspberry pis kicking around doing nothing and they really ought to be doing something. They’re all network ready and running Debian.

I’ve not tried putting Blender on unix before, so this will be a fun learning experience.

Could someone please point me in the direction of documentation for setting up on unix for render only? Is there a unix render engine without the full install? Can I control rendering with command line instead of the GUI?

Many thanks.

(PS, liking the new look.)

(vilvei) #2

There is few problems with this: Blender Foundation does not provide precompiled Blender to Arm architecture. Raspberry Pi is at its best so slow, that there won’t be really anything done.

But, I understand that one must try if one really wants to. So there is this: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/77574/blender-build-for-raspberry-pi3

I assume the network rendering is done the same as any other platform.

(tclancey) #3

Many thanks, that’s got me started very quickly.

The pis are going to be stupidly slow, but they’re sat around doing nothing and cost about 2p to run for a full day. If I get 10 frames over night I’d be pretty chuffed!

Thanks again.

(joseph raccoon) #4

YMMV

I don’t expect you to even get 10 frames a night on them unless it is very basic stuff. There are options to mount pci-e devices to a pi although you will need to do some research on your own side for that.

Although you may want to look into making a pi-hole with those if you wanted to make an adblocker for your home network.

(sundialsvc4) #5

What the heck – these little boxes are plentiful and cheap. Why couldn’t we do a command-line render-only adaptation for this little platform? It might actually be useful.

(joseph raccoon) #6

This topic comes up from time to time, but truthfully PI’s are both short on ram (a very needed thing to render) and even not going into the restricted instruction set they run they are quite frankly very underpowered as far as CPU power goes, yes it is technically possible to make a render farm out of them but at the end of the day it will not be the inexpensive solution that some people hope for, you will still need to power all of them, you will need sd cards for all of them, you will need to set up networking for all of them and all of that has a financial cost.

Truthfully right now if you want a home render farm on the cheap I would suggest used server hardware or parting together budget machines off of amazon and newegg.

But if you think that I’m wrong, there is an ARM blender build for pi and you can test it for yourself.

(tclancey) #7

I’m glad at least people are talking about it again, the new pi 3B+ has a lot more processing power that its predecessor, no, it’s still not a server, but they’re capable. In about a fortnight my 8 have pushed out 1500 frames. My overhead is small as I’ve retired these from other tasks. A 2nd hand switch cost me £15, an 8gb sd is peanuts and they consume 5w running at 400%, so they’re not expensive to run.

But, I think there is another important bit to this. because these are so inexpensive, because they’re easy to use people do crazy things and learn stuff. I only wanted to do this for fun and I’ve learnt loads.

But my original question was, is there a way to modify the render command to output data or run triggers on tile/frame completion?

I used the install you get with apt-get install blender. Is this the version you mention? It works perfectly.

Thanks.

(tclancey) #8

And then people stopped talking about it!

(joseph raccoon) #9

Mind giving us a sample of what it can do? I doubt we could get the whole pixar grade animation/textures on it but a well documented bench mark for what they could do could be something that some people may find useful.