Unlink an animated character

Hello,

I have a Blender file in which I’ve linked a rigged character.
The armature was made into a proxy and I created a walk cycle with it.
Now I would like to import that animated character into Unity but Unity doesn’t seem to like the fact that the character was linked.
When I import the animated character in Unity, I end up with an animated armature as far as I can see but the character mesh doesn’t follow the animation, it stays in it’s T-pose.

I have tried to make the character local into the animation file through Object/Relations/Make Local but nothing seems to change, I still can’t go into Edit Mode on the character.
I have been trying to unlink my character for a while now, I’m not sure I am looking at the right problem.

If anyone has a suggestion about how to solve this issue.
Thanks

I found a channel called Royal Skies LLC on YouTube a few months ago that has a ton of concise, step-by-step tutorials running from 1 to 7 minutes in length. This guy offers a playlist, UNITY 3D Game Design Tutorials FAST!!! with 9 videos (total length ~ 23m). The third one is titled FBX Export from Blender to Unity (In 60 Seconds!!!)

I don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but I hope it helps.

Oh thank you,

Actually the import part wasn’t really the problem. If I have a character that I have animated in its own file, there is no problem but I will have a look at this play list.

In the end, I’m not sure what I was trying to do is possible so I don’t know if it’s a makeshift solution but I ended up solving this issue by creating actions in my animation file that has the linked character in it and then I re-appended the actions into the original character file that I then saved under a different name before the Unity import step.

So now, things seem to work for me. The only thing is Unity version 2019 seems to have a problem with the last Blender version when it comes to importing .blend files as is. It works in 2018 and 2020 but in 2019, when I import a .blend file that has more than one action, I can only find one that doesn’t even have the right name. Things work fine if I export in FBX from Blender though. From the research I did, it looks like it’s a bug that has been reported already though.

Thank you for your help :slightly_smiling_face: