Unnecessary reduced special menus (the "w" key)

Hi together, I hope this is the right forum for this thread. I have a minor - but perhaps general - topic.

First: blender is great and I love it really. But I realized that in the latest release the special menus which were reachable with the shortcut “w” changed. This menu had - for example - “weight from bones” for weight painting (very handy). Another example are the entries in the particle editing menu. “Select roots”, “Select tips”, “subdivide” (! little known but helpful limited “vertex editing”-capabilities). Now this menus are reduced to only a few entries. And the former entries are not reachable (at least in the case of particle editing) via the menu. They are still available but one has to use the spacebar menu.

Why are they doing that? What was the need to change that?

I know this options because they have been in the special menu. How shall a new user recognize this otions, if they are not reachable via a gui. (Yes I know the addon dynamic spacebar!)

Best regards

Also Decimate took a hit

there are panels missing

oops

Another example are the entries in the particle editing menu. “Select roots”, “Select tips”, “subdivide” (! little known but helpful limited “vertex editing”-capabilities). Now this menus are reduced to only a few entries. And the former entries are not reachable (at least in the case of particle editing) via the menu.
In my version of 2.66a they are there. Select tips/roots are also available in the Select menu. Note that these are only available in the W menu when you have Point Select mode enabled since that in the only mode where these selection mode are needed.

In weight paint mode either change the shortcut of the Weight from bones or the Radial Control, both called from W.

If you think you have found a bug report it to the bug tracker from the Help menu.

Note that these are only available in the W menu when you have Point Select mode enabled since that in the only mode where these selection mode are needed.

Yes, context sensitive menus are to appreciate (allthough so called “modi” in software development can lead to a difficult user experience - a “modus” everyone knows and “loves” is for example CAPS lock).

But how much context sensitivity has the following special menu. That’s from weight painting.

Did some investigation :wink: and rolled back from 2.66a to 2.62. Particle edit sub menu was as Richard Marklew described (shows up only in point selection mode). But Weight Paint special menu had these entries.

Perhaps I overlooked something, perhaps it has some reason, but perhaps the fact, that these entries are gone and replaced by something not useful in this context, is an accident, that can happen during heavy development?