Unnecessary workflow slowdowns and how they could be improved

This approach sounds like it could be ok. I’d have to play with it before I praise it though. :slight_smile:

I don’t mean to sound disrespectful to the devs, I have the utmost respect and appreciation for them. But I can’t help but shake my fist in fury to the heavens over this one. :slight_smile:

We had a working implementation that wouldn’t have adversely affected the workflow of anyone who didn’t want to use it. It is now left to die because the dev seems to have abandoned it due to Ui disputes. It was a good design (IMHO) that could have gone into trunk and then refined later. We could have been enjoying its benefits for months now. Instead it’s looking like it will never see the light of day. I hope I’m wrong.

@Cessen> I see. Sorry for misunderstanding it. This might work just fine that way, but just as fahr noted, I would like to try it out to be sure first. :slight_smile:

I had that impression too. The patch did what we wanted. It had a few quirks to iron out, which i noted at the bug thread.
But it got us excited in anticipation and when no further development was put into it, we felt it was abandoned due to design disputes.

I don’t think your impression is wrong. I was surprised to see no further development on it, but I suppose I shouldn’t be. I can see how that would scare away the original author. It’s very unfortunate.

I’m in full support of the current proposal, and would love to see it get into trunk. I wonder if there’s anyone we can poke about this…?

It looks like patch author is Severin. I don’t think he was scared.
IMHO, he was just too busy. He did a lot of other improvements to Blender’s UI and a sticky keys attempt.
Since same period, many of his patches were not concretized into trunk.
https://developer.blender.org/D667
https://developer.blender.org/D584
https://developer.blender.org/D760

There are lots of excellent ideas in patches tracker. Just not enough free devs to do reviews. So, big pause looks like a good idea.

Well, Julian appears to be the developer for this. However, poking may or may not help depending on the reason it’s not going in. We poked Campbell for over a year on something that wasn’t ever going to get committed. :frowning:

Not saying this to start a flamewar, just keeping things in perspective. Sometimes, no matter how much the community wants & approves of a feature, they just don’t get added.

Hi, scanned down this page and this must be the voldemort of features or so… could someone link to URL, not sure whats being discussed here? (admittedly, I didn’t read entire thread)

“Voldemort of features” - that brought a smile to my face :smiley:

I believe this is the one you are after, Campbell: T43933

I have a question regarding workflow and UI improvements. Are there are any plans to end the current dichotomy in Blender of ACTIONMOUSE versus SELECTMOUSE? In other applications, the mouse button used to select objects can also be used for manipulating interface widgets, but not in Blender. For example, in video editors generally, you can click (with the left mouse) a movie strip to select it. You can also left-click the timeline indicator widget (equiv. of Cursor in Blender) to move it to a new position. In Blender this can’t be done, you need a separate shortcut for moving the Cursor. In my view, this is the biggest UI shortcoming of Blender, and yet I haven’t seen it discussed anywhere.

Here you go.

Admitedly this wasnt initially about the auto focus animation feature. In general this thread is about things in blender’s workflow that slow it down. it just made sense to me to mention it here, since it is very much a workflow slow down that is obvious to most ex-maya animators coming to blender.

People post in this thread other workflow slowdowns and also bring up other software as example of how a design was made in a way that takes less steps than in blender.
They dont do it to say that they want blender to be just the same. It obviously can’t be the same, as it already has it’s own design asetetic. But having examples is a nice starting point when you are proposing an idea and explaining how it is beneficial - because it something real with proven success - something that can be demonstrated and tested.

That said the animation feature discussion was productive at the bug tracker, because it gave us something new that does fit with blender’s design. In the end we landed on something that we all agreed upon. Now if someone implemented it… :smiley:

I am very happy that @Cessen approves it too now. Just not sure whom to poke. maybe someone could share this at IRC ?

Not sure if we will benefit from it this year, as it was announced by ton that after 2.76 the next big release might be some time in 2016. But lets have some patience. The idea is documented properly at the tracker, it’s discussed both here and there, I even made a page at the ui-proposals wiki.

It’s good to share other workflow slow downs. Not because of flame wars, but in a way that will help blender become even more competitive. A lot of people who come from say Modo or some autodesk product can share why a tool there seems faster to work with than a tool in b3d - but explain why its that way clearly.
From my perspective in a lot of ways blender’s tools are already very fast in terms of workflow.