Unwanted lines when baking my normal map

texturing
modeling
(Nick Comito) #1

Hey all,

I’m new here and I’m really excited to be part of such an active community. I’ve started Blender a few times in the past only to give up–just too overwhelming. Recently I’ve found the Blender Guru tutorials which makes a huge difference so I feel more confident that this will be a long term hobby. We’ll see.

In any case, I’ve done the donuts tutorial and I thought I was almost done with the anvil tutorial but I’m having issues baking my normal map.

Can anyone tell me why this part of my normal map has these lines on it? I’ve tried smooth shading; I’ve tried bumping up the subsurface count up to 6 for viewport and render; I’ve tried increasing and decreasing the ray distance before baking. I’m out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs: I’m using Blender 2.8 beta on an old Macbook Pro.

Thanks!

0 Likes

(helluvamesh) #2

Post some pics of both the high-poly and the low-poly mesh.

0 Likes

(Util It) #3

Is there a gap between your high and low poly? Did you scale one of them slightly?

I’m not sure what your issue stems from but it may be related to that

0 Likes

(TeaCrab) #4

I have a guess that it’s probably your high poly, or low poly, or both were not properly smoothed.

0 Likes

(Nick Comito) #5

Thanks, guys.

Somehow it fixed itself as I was tweaking the settings. I played with both baking and modifier settings and that doesn’t seem to change much. What does affect the output is making sure the alignment is the same (as @Util_IT said) AND making sure you’ve got smooth shading turned on.

There are still some slight ridges but I’m cool with those.

Thanks again.

1 Like