UPBGE questions

First, thanks to all the people for trying to improve Blender UPBGE. You guys are awesome.

Normally I will just install a program after reading the documentation and take it for a test drive. Before I do I have a few questions.

Will UPBGE overwrite my old versions of Blender? Should I create a new folder in Blender Foundations folder and install it there? I want to keep my old versions of blender, and their shortcuts.

Does UPBGE use logic bricks, or is it all Python?

If so, do the joystick logic bricks work like they used to (correctly) Since 2.71 (I think) they haven’t worked correctly.

Will I be able to open projects I made in 2.70a, 2.71, and newer in UPBGE, and continue working on them?

That’s all I can think of for now.

Thanks in advance.

No. It usually comes in a compressed folder, just extract it anywhere and run it. Unless you extract it over your blender folder nothing bad should happen.

Should I create a new folder in Blender Foundations folder and install it there?

As said avobe, you can put it wherever you please. However since UPBGE is not being developed by the Blender Foundation it doesn’t make much sense to put it in a folder with that name.

I want to keep my old versions of blender, and their shortcuts.

No problem, but since it is just a folder you’ll have to make the shortcuts for UPBGE yourself.

Does UPBGE use logic bricks, or is it all Python?

Same as blender, but there are more logic bricks and more Python API functions to use.

If so, do the joystick logic bricks work like they used to (correctly) Since 2.71 (I think) they haven’t worked correctly.

If I remeber correctly I think that was fixed on UPBGE yes.

Will I be able to open projects I made in 2.70a, 2.71, and newer in UPBGE, and continue working on them?

Maybe, but you should not depend on it, UPBGE blends aren’t nesscesarly compatible with BGE blends, so be carefully there and make sure your game is designed in such a way that you can easily make changes on the future.

Thanks for the prompt reply. This is awesome. :slight_smile:
Going to the DL page. :slight_smile:

I suggest to ask such question in the UPBGE forum. This is the support sub-forum of the BGE.

UPBGE is a fork of Blender. Right now the most solutions for BGE apply for UPBGE too. This is not true when the answers are not related to the BGE and will cause a lot of confusion (similar to BGE questions in the Blender support subforums).

OK Monster, didn’t know that. Sorry. :slight_smile: