update video driver = blender won't start

hi! i installed the driver for my RIVA TNT2 M64 videocard from NVIDIA (i have quite an old pc), hoping i’ll get more from better 3D acceleration… but blender won’t start… here is what i got from the “black little window” that shows up together with blender in Windows (forgot what its called :o):

Color depth r 1141139456 g 28965000 b 530
Aux buffers: 1141139456

Color depth r 1141139456 g 28964360 b 530
Aux buffers 1141139456

before updating my driver, i’m sure those were not the numbers, and blender worked fine.
i’m in WindowsXP, 256MB ram, AMD K6-2 500MHz.

thanks for any help :smiley:

Impressive numbers: I myself can’t get more than 8 bits per channel. :wink:
Maybe this is enough for someone to find out what’s going on but for myself can you try to start Blender by affixing the -d switch from a dos prompt so you’d get a more informative output in the console (aka little black window)?
BTW, I am pretty sure that you could find a much better card for 10$ or even free. Your computer is worth it.

Jean

BTW, I am pretty sure that you could find a much better card for 10$ or even free. Your computer is worth it.

am very much interested with the “free” card. :smiley:

i’ve used the same model of video card on other pc, and it’s good, works well with blender, i think if i’ll get it to work on mine,it’s enough for me (for now).

Impressive numbers: I myself can’t get more than 8 bits per channel. :wink:
Maybe this is enough for someone to find out what’s going on but for myself can you try to start Blender by affixing the -d switch from a dos prompt so you’d get a more informative output in the console (aka little black window)?

i also found those numbers to be around 8, when i didn’t install nvidia drivers. that’s what i get by putting the -d switch, by the way.
thanks for the attention IamInnocent

Philippines are a bit far away for me and all I could offer you is a 7300LE Nvidia that’s new PCI, which I’ll upgrade in February or March.

i’ve used the same model of video card on other pc, and it’s good, works well with blender, i think if i’ll get it to work on mine,it’s enough for me (for now).

When I started Blender I had to live with an ATI that had a whopping 4 MB of video RAM (on a 486 DX). Then I upgraded for the TNT2 and I do remember that it felt like heaven.

i also found those numbers to be around 8, when i didn’t install nvidia drivers. that’s what i get by putting the -d switch, by the way.
thanks for the attention IamInnocent

Those are saner numbers.
You should get a lot more output than that though and the most interesting for your problem should be toward the end of the list. There’s a mean to copy/paste the output of a console, something about right clicking on the title and the task bar at the same time while scratching your head in the direction of the rotation of the Earth, except during full moons… but I’ll be damned if I can remember it. One year without Windows does that to your brain,

Although this will do too:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips249.html

Jean

You should get a lot more output than that though and the most interesting for your problem should be toward the end of the list.
yup! that’s the end part… after showing those weird values, windows will say it needed to close blender, and ask that “send or don’t send” question… every other comments in the console seems to be usual stuffs. (but i’ll post them anyway,when i get a chance to go back to my pc)
also, the tnt2 seems to get a lot of heat…i mean very unusual heat, i had to put an extra fan on the card to get it cooler…

Philippines are a bit far away for me and all I could offer you is a 7300LE Nvidia that’s new PCI, which I’ll upgrade in February or March.

unfortunately, i only have a 2x/4x agp slot :frowning: