Update.....

An old project rendered with all the new raytraced goodness that blender has to provide :smiley:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/M@dcow/harley_2004.jpg

your shadow is wrong! it points into the wrong direction compared to the shadow of the ground image also the exhaust has no shadow.

otherwise cool model!

claas

Check the shadow on the rocks on the bottom right hand corner of the image, they would suggest that the shadow is moving towards the left, and that’s how I matched my shadows.

Funny thing is that rough terrain has a habit of distorting shadow directions. The most notable example of this is that of the conspiracy theorists who claimed the moon landings were faked because of the “apparent” differences in shadow direction in the moon landing footage.

Ooh shiny shiny. Love it. I also like the overall design of the craft.
Paradox

your shadow is wrong! it points into the wrong direction compared to the shadow of the ground image also the exhaust has no shadow.

Sif complain about the shadows?

That is extrodinary [email protected] :smiley:

I really really like this render. Wish I could do that. Basic Tutorial?

And is that ground an image or blender? It looks photorealistic.

Reminds me of the Star Wars Pod Race in Episode I.

You have to make an animation. :o

I really really like this render. Wish I could do that. Basic Tutorial?

Thanks. Well, truth be told it is deceptively simple. Apart from the modeling which I won’t go into in much detail, I’ll try and explain how I made it.

Quick modeling explanation:

All very simple. Main body shapes are simple subsurfed structures that even a newbie can do (oh, and I think I actually was when I did it :smiley: ), The only really noteworthy things are the rivets, which I made using dupliverts, and the metallic ribs of the craft, which were made with dupliframes.

Materials:

Also very simple, apart from one decal, they just have raymirror cranked up, and a slight ramp shader.

screendump:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/[email protected]/harley_screendump.jpg

The background was not done in blender, its a photo. I used a ground plane underneath the craft with the option “only shadow” turned on for the shadows. That’s it.

And the lighting is very simple too, a single buffered spotlight for the specularity of the craft and the shadows, and Ambient Occlusion.

that sums it up, hope it was helpful.

I loved the old version with the mo-blur better, to be honest. Gave it a sense that it was really fast.

Nice render though.

BgDM

I haven’t seen the origional but I do like the image though about the exhaust casting no shadow it could be because particles or halos don’t cast shadows and the shadow on the ground is pitch black.

I’d be a little concerned about him running into stuff though - it looks as though the driver can’t see over the big shiny front thingy. Also, I’d add a little irregularity (scratches, dents or something) to the vehicle. Such a perfectly shaped shiny thing immediately tells me it is CG.

Great picture though.

well done! :Z

Nice. :smiley:

But why is raytracing needed? The reflection of the photo could be done in older Blender versions with an environment map as well, couldn’t it? (Although that needed a good deal of image editing ;))