[updated] photo(realism) ?

This is an attempt at a realistic knife + surrounding. I don’t say it’s photorealistic because of the reflections.

Anyway here’s the link
http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/mes.html

comments? suggestions?

-hans-

WOW

looks great

only problem is reflection

dorty up the metal, and less blue!

looks amazing

Hey! this is very good, the only thing I regret is that you’re a little too lazy to assign the same texture to the ground and to the (shit, I don’t know the word in english) anyway: the part where you hold the knife! :smiley:

Congratulations, the work is good!

YAYA

Hey! this is very good, the only thing I regret is that you’re a little too lazy to assign the same texture to the ground and to the (shit, I don’t know the word in english) anyway: the part where you hold the knife!

Yeah I know, but that way, you can more easily stick to a colour scheme, and I think the result turned out quite good.

That’s true, Respectable reason! 8)

very very nice :smiley:

MAMA MIA! sweet man. VERY GOOD.

whoa, way cool

Very nice!

With a different texture for the handle and a additional specmap on the blade it will be great!

For the SpecMap, I mean, blades can be thery shiny far from the cutting edge, but where they are sharp they are so because they are passed over a rapidly rotating abrasive wheeel, this makes the nighbouring of the edge satinated rather than smooth.

Just an opinion,

Stefano

With a different texture for the handle and a additional specmap on the blade it will be great!

For the SpecMap, I mean, blades can be thery shiny far from the cutting edge, but where they are sharp they are so because they are passed over a rapidly rotating abrasive wheeel, this makes the nighbouring of the edge satinated rather than smooth.

That’s a very good suggestion thanks. I’ll try to update as soon as possible.

blade is too shiny
looks like a letter opener not a propper sharpened blade

Awesome work!
Keep it up! :slight_smile:

I updated the pic (the original can still be found on the page)
I adjusted the lighting a bit and worked some on the blade.
http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/mes.html

Is it better this way?

-hans-

um, here’s the problem:

the reflections arent real, so i suggest seperating each face and giving a different env map to make real reflections, and in the texture buttons, lower the contrast to about .700
the handle is really sweet, but you could work on it a bit more, add more noise
the floor just looks like a plain old texture. i suggest you add a bit nor to it

the new dull blade makes it so much better! that looks great…
great scene, hmm, could u make more of a surrounding for it?? just a floor is kind of plain and would be accented alot better with a whole scene, say, with walls, and maybe next to a steaming coffee cup =)
an entire scene makes pics look sooo much better

And, maybe, (but this is not my pic, after all!) sticking the knife in the wood ground or on a door, would be interesting, no?

Anyway, it’s a pic with a lot of work, and I like that!

Are you talking about the first image or the update. Because the reflections in the update are way more subtile and more accurate.

Well it has a colour texture, a bumbmap, and a spec map. I agree though that the ground is to clean, and that it need some dirt etc.

working on it :slight_smile:

-hans-

Perhaps sticking it through a note on a door, that always looks nice :slight_smile:

The area where the blade joins the handle looks a bit round and thick. If you’ve modelled this after an actual knife, then that’s the way it is :wink: , but I think it looks a little strange.

1. pofo

Naaaa,

why would you waste a so nice knife that way? First thing message’s recipient would do is to unplug the knife from the door and keep it for himself.

Well…

if that were a self destructing knife with a blade sensor making it to explode when pulled out from the door, that would make sense 8)

Stefano