I am planning an upgrade to an old PC on a really tight budget and interested in hearing about any upgrades that people made that had an unexpectedly/disproportionally large (or the opposite) improvement to Blender performance (in any aspect).
Any help/comments on my personal upgrade would also be very much appreciated as I don’t want to blow my budget and find zero improvement!
My budget is $400 AUD ($310 USD) including all postage to upgrade my system for light/hobby Blender use (Mostly modelling but it would be really nice to be able to render short/simple animations in Cycles in my lifetime. I am also loving the Mantaflow simulations but they take forever).
I currently have an approx 10 year old pc with below specs:
- 6 core AMD Phenom II 3.2GHz (Asus Formular IV AM4 ish)
- 32GB DDR3 Ganged
- Asus GT710 Passive cooling (Added later)
- 3 Displays
- 1500W modular PSU (Cost more than my entire budget for this upgrade back when I didn’t have kids!! )
- Additional cooling = taking the side off the case pointing my desk fan at it
My options as I see them are: (Note: The below GFX cards are the only NVIDIA cards I can currently get my hands on at the moment that are within budget)
- Replace GT710 with 3 x Asus GT1030 GDDR5 Passive cooling (Would 3 even make a difference over one?)
- Replace GT710 with 1x ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 Phoenix OC 4GB GDDR6 Video Card
- New AM4 AMD processor eg Ryzen5 3500X (But not sure if would work or be hopelessly crippled in 10year old AM4 socket system with ddr3 mem) and a single GT1030 or RX550 graphics card
- ??? I am open to ideas.
My first inclination would be to upgrade the graphics card as modelling except when previewing in Cycles. But I am concerned that Upgrading the GFX card will not make much of a difference due to other bottlenecks?