uploading Q

I have a question about internet.

Currently I uses netscape composer to make some simple webpages where I can show my pics on. Very simple… the result I get is always a .html file uploaded. But how can I just upload a jpg so the extension in the adress is .jpg ?

Second : how can I completely delete a page from my site? There is no function like that in Netscape composer.

I’m not planning on changing to another html-editor. So thats not a soultion. But I heard from someone you could do these things with DOS-commands… Is that true? and what comments are that then?

Thanks in advance…

Um, normally you’d just use an FTP program (WS_FTP or CuteFTP or some such) to connect to your web server, and then just upload/delete/rename whatever files you want. Not sure if this it what you meant.

Thanks. I’ll try one of those programs.

Too bad, Netscape Composer is one of the worst HTML editor around. Hot Dog Pro has become my favorite editor (and I have tried them all–GoLIve, HomeSite, etc…). Search around for a different editor and download WS_FTP LE which I believe is free for uploading files to your web space.

I know Netscape Composer isn’t really good. But all I have to do is make pages like this.

http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/mes.html
http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/chess5.html

= A background with a pic on top of it.
No need for an other editor.

In the DOS window:
ftp ftp.webaddress.extension
you’ll be prompted for the user name and password.
Some useful commands:
ls, list dir
cd, change dir, ‘cd new dir’, ‘cd … back one dir’, ‘cd / back to the root dir’, ‘ftp -h or help for the commands that work on the remote server’, ‘delete file name to remove a page/file’, ‘put file name to upload a file, you need to use the path or ‘lcd dir to go to the dir the file is in’’, ‘get file name to download a file from the remote server’. Windows has a dumb ftp client so trying one of the ones mentioned in the previous posts is a good idea. Be careful with the delete command, it’s easy to remove the wrong thing, and undo doesn’t exist.

Thanks. Thats what I was looking for. Maybe (if possible) I’ll try one of those ftp-programs, but I’ll have a try with the DOS-stuff.

If you upload pictures, you may need to specify -binary to get the pictures to upload in the correct format. I think the DOS ftp client defaults to -ascii and may not be smart enough to automaticly choose the correct format to transfer in. Pages transfer in -ascii so that shouldn’t be a problem.