Uranium 235 Visualization

For a science fair project, I created a visualization of a Uranium 235 atom. The things that are being stripped away are visualizations for the probability of finding electrons around the nucleus of the atom.

Let me know what you all think.
[video]http://vimeo.com/benblease/uranium-235-atom[/video]

This looks really cool! I’ve done some similar projects before, but they didn’t turn out quite as good as this :slight_smile:

Good job. :slight_smile:

Pretty cool. This would actually be a really good opportunity to use volume rendering though. Use it to visualize the probability using density rather than overlapping solids. ?

thanks! the biggest constraint for volume was renderin gtime. so it became impractical.

Wouldn’t it be better to have the text in front of the objects?

If forced to use solids rather than volumes, I think I would have had the orbitals lose opacity as they explode, allowing a closer look into the next layer. It feels very crowded in places. And yes, I agree the text should be supered rather than obscured. That’s easily done in the Compositor, even with 3D animated text.

i tried it with the compositor, and for some reason it didn’t work. The problem with the transparencies would be rendering, it took a week to render as it was, and i was pressed for time.