Urgent Help for Building a dedicated workstation for Cycles

8 cores are plenty. if he was building this pc for CPU use, then i would agree, but its not so. im worried about the pcie lanes. i actually had never considered this before, since i only have ever used 1 gpu.

to play games, or make use of realtime solutions, 4x could be quite hindering. im sure you could turn off slots or force x16 to one card in the bios.

4cores… 8threads… that is pretty much the minimum these days… however, it would have great single threaded performance!!.. but as everyone moves deeper into the realm of animation and compositing, video, cgi, and rendering, across all of the programs they end up using,… they benefit from more cores…The 7700k is an outstanding chip… it may or may not be the correct choice for what you want to do with your system. Gamers definitely love that chip, and rightly so… And heavy workloads would love it too, as long as they would’nt love more. Im not sayin its a bad idea, just double checkin you’re shure you dont want more computational torque for when that is needed… as for the gpu’s and 4 1080 Ti’s, that sounds great!! Two would be the maximum increase you would get from stacking gpu’s, but if you got the lanes, the more the merrier i suppose…

I just spent the last couple of days working with Marvelous Designer dreaming of i7 7700K… A lot of other software is depending on single threaded tasks as well. What I am trying to say, the 10 core CPU looks really good, but is the i7 worse choice for a workstation?.. I don’t think so. I would also go for the i7 7700K. And not only to save money.

Its not a worse choice at all… It just depends on what programs you intend to use and what suits those programs best… Its only a bad choice if it doesn’t quite get your job done well enough…

So I have talked to someone who owns a build with 4 GTX 1080ti and he told me that the cards run 90°C hot and he downclock them even less than the stock clock so they do not pass 100°C , wow that’s pretty discouraging for me :no: , even a water cooling solution is not possible since they don’t sell custom water cooling solution here in my country and no one even knows how to assemble a water loop.

Well,… you could always get 4 1080ti’s with a better cooler design than the reference cards… like EVGA 1080Ti FTW3’s… or buy all the parts to build a nice watercooled system just for your gpu’s… soryy… edit… what country are you in?

could you buy 2 i7 7700 computers that each have 2 cards and network render?