Wanted to tease a new project we at AMD are working on. Namely USD / Hydra support inside of Blender. Right now, you can import and export data via USD in Blender. However, we want to really enhance this behavior with adding some new functionality via an addon.
So simply put this addon brings USD Hydra support to Blender offering a few main features:
- Ability to render fast viewports via any number of Hydra render delegates. We include Hydra’s GL renderer, and Radeon ProRender, but pretty much every major renderer out there (Arnold, Redshift, etc) have one that should work.
- As a side note to this, Renderers don’t need to write custom to adapt to Blender! One thing I’ve noted in my various adventures writing rendering plugins to Blender is we’re all doing the same thing. Having USD as the abstraction layer removes having to export data from Blender for each renderer.
- Ability to reference external USD files into the stream without loading data into blender.
- Assemble USD files in a nodegraph and share assemblies with other software
- Export Materials via MaterialX (work in progress)
You can read a bit more about the plan here:
But for now here’s a demo of the viewport in action!