Use black&white map to apply particles

Hi!

I have a simple plane object (not square) with lots of vertices. And I need to add some grass to a parts of it. So, I need to add a particle system to some curved areas of this plane. And is it possible to create some png map, where black parts is where I want to see grass and white parts must stay clear?

Same question about applying different materials to a different parts of this plane by such “maps”. Is it possible? Because it’s really hard to select right vertices to make vertex groups.

Hope you’ll understand my question :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your answer!

Thank you so much!

Add a particle system then you will have the option to add a particle texture. Set the texture to influence density

Same question about applying different materials to a different parts of this plane by such “maps”. Is it possible? Because it’s really hard to select right vertices to make vertex groups.
Use a texture as the factor input of a mix node influence the mix two material nodes

For blender renderer use a texture as a stencil (texture / influence panel) to set blending between two other textures

Can I do same thing with Cycles? It works only for BlenderRender engine :frowning:

Maybe can somehow generate vertex group from a texture?

Can I do same thing with Cycles? It works only for BlenderRender engine
Works just the same with cycles

Not really, here is what I see in texture tab:

Edit:answered…

Not really, here is what I see in texture tab

Start being more curious by looking at the settings available to you.
Look in the particle settings for texture panel

Ok, thank you! Finally I got it :slight_smile: The problem was that I forgot to set “Density” checkBox in the influence settings of texture. Thank you so much for your help! :slight_smile: