Useful little-known (or used) hotkeys

One of my favorites that I don’t think many people know about is alt right-click in object mode to ‘select object behind’.

Basically if you want to select a specific object that has many objects overlapping it, alt right-click to bring up a list of valid objects, then pick one.

1 Like

Shift+Z to toggle between “Solid View” and “Cycles Rendered View” Blender build 2.69

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.70/UI

Multi-Number Button Editing
Feature adds the ability to use vertical gestures to define multiple buttons to modify or type values into.

• click on the first button you want to modify, then drag up/down to another grouped button you want to drag)
  • notice only the buttons highlight and un-highlight as you drag.
  • drag horizontally to edit the highlighted buttons OR let go of the mouse button and type in a value (its applied to all).

Buttons such as scale and image x/y automatically maintain aspect, while location and other settings simply adjust the value of all values.

Cool, especially for N tab fields. Works on buildbot builds already.

Great tips, but OP’s UBB tags seem to be nonfunctional . . . ?

Hi
Sorry for my English, I use Google translator.
Help me create a hotkey.
I want to:

1. Choose polygon, hold the button and to pull the arrow - extruded.
  2. Choose polygon, hold the button and to pull the arrow - add duplicate
    How to create these hotkeys here?

If you mean use the manipulator widget you cannot create what you want with the shortcut editor in User Preferences. You’ll most likely have to write your own python script

sorry for my English, I use Google translator
I made this hotkey

Select a vertex or face or edge, hold [ ( key [ ), drag selected and click - vertices extruded, like Ctrl + N, but the vertices can be seen immediately. But I can not use the arrows manipulator, I can not make such extruded along a single axis, I need to press the X,Y or Z, but I can not immediately drag behind the arrow.
Can it be done without scripting?

Attachments

Is it just me or are a lot of the hotkeys that are being shown in older tutorials different to the latest version? (2.71 I’m on atm?)

I think it’s just you. A few hotkeys are different from very old versions of blender (> 4 years old) but since then very very few may have changed

It’s not just you. A lot of the keyboard shortcut guides I’ve been looking at lately are different from the newer versions of Blender.
I’ve discovered some keyboard shortcuts where I can tell something is happening, but I can’t tell what is happening. Is there a place to look all this stuff up as the changes are made?

Shift + axis, it banishes the axis you select from the selection, so you can scale and rotate on two axisses at ones.

if you hit the axis button twice after hitting G or R it will swap from global to local axis.
if you have Snap During Transform on, you can hold ctrl why moving, scaling, or rotating a object to turn it off while holding ctrl.
while moving a vertex you can press G again to move on the typology lines.

This thread hasn’t been touched in a while. Thought i’d throw in three interface things I find very useful, and didn’t learn till recently.

Almost anywhere in blender you can click and drag to toggle on/off multiple options at once. Especially useful when rigging, for the lock icons in the transform panel, or item visibility in the outliner.

Hold Alt when toggling property options, and blender will apply that property to all selected objects.

Click and drag across all three numerical inputs for an item such as scale, and then type a value. Blender will apply that value to all three inputs.

1 Like

Can the opening post please be updated with FIXED formatting and a non-broken link?

I guess this thread could use an overhaul regarding a lot of keyboard shortcut changes in 2.8.

1 Like

Being so new here and myskill level I find many of this info very useful.

There is just so much to learn, thanks to everyone who have contributed here since 2003…
Gee-Wiz

After previewing render view with Shift + Z tap Alt + Z will return to shade mode without the need of scroll click a sub menu, for some alterations.

Maybe you have an answer for this problem I’m having. Somehow I turned off (non-visible) the animation control buttons, (play, etc) in the latest 2.8. I have tried to find a way to bring those controls back but haven’t found a solution. I’ve looked through the manual. It shows how to right click on the control section and uncheck the box for controls to turn the display off but then right clicking on the same spot doesn’t bring the same pop up so there is no way to turn them back on that way. Is there a hotkey for that?

I like Guidanski but also a great place to look for keyboard shortcuts is in the preferences under keymap

That chart was actually one of the first things I stumbled across when I started researching if I should try using Blender for animation. I’d love to find a similar updated chart if such a thing exists!