User Friendly Keymap

Hey guys
I don’t know where to post this, I have been searching the forums and I don’t see many people sharing keymaps, so if this is in the wrong forum or is not useful please advise/move/delete/ thread at will.

So back on topic: for a while now I like creating my custom keymaps for Blender, I am sorry but I just can’t get used to selecting with the right mouse button, we’ve been taught otherwise all our lives (I’ve wondered how many Blenderheads out there actually use the default select with the right mouse button).
Anyway, some times a recreate it from scratch, and make changes and improvements to it, but never got to share it, today I decided to do it; it conforms a bit more to the “conventions” of other software.

It is based on Blender’s default and I changed as little as possible to make it comfortable for me, mostly modified keymaps for the areas I use, like the 3D view, Selection and File Browser so everything else should work (I haven’t really tested much yet).

So here goes: Blender User Friendly Keys 8 Feb 2013
Update Blender User Friendly Keys R01 - 12 Feb 2012

Changes to default keymap:
Selection:

• Select with left mouse button

• Click and drag for border select

• Consistent selection modifiers for border or direct select:
    [LIST]

• Shift only ads

• Alt only removes

• Ctrl toggles

• Double click deselects all
    [/LIST]

3D View

• Middle mouse pans view (CAD and 3DsMax Style)
  • Shift or Alt + Middle mouse button rotates view
  • Double middle click zooms selection
  • \ Toggles Isolate selection mode (the \ key that is not in the Numpad in Portuguese keyboard layout its next to the 1 key)
  • 1, 2, 3, 4 for mesh selection modes (vertex, edge, face, all)
  • Alt + 1, 2 or 2 for inverted selection mode (edge and face, vertex and face, vertex and edge)
  • Shift + Z Rendered View in Cycles (Will generate harmless error warning if another renderer is active)
  • Double click selects objects during Weight Paint (avoids conflict with paint)

File Browser:

• Ctrl + D Bookmarks folder
  • Double click opens
  • Ctrl + N New Folder
  • File Browser
  • Shift select fills selection
  • Backspace goes to parent (instead of Back)

That is all I can recall doing, there are probably other smaller tweaks.
I made it primarily for personal use, but hope it is useful to anyone else.:wink:

more like: 3ds max user friendly keymaps;)

Yes, I have to use it at work, so it was somewhat based o it :wink:

@dphantom: Just curious… How do you handle selecting bones while weight painting?

I ask because I found I had to switch back to Select With RMB for this. For some reason, Select With LMB, when trying to use it for this particular operation, doesn’t work. I think there’s a qualifier key, but in the few minutes I dedicated to trying to find out which it was, I was unsuccessful.

The other place Select With LMB never works is when setting the current frame in the Timeline.

I’ve heard these are not classified as “bugs” but as… Frankly, I forget, but apparently someone is maintaining a list somewhere of the anomalies of Select With behaviour.

well a rarely use weight paint and bones in my line of work (architecture) so I would not know, but from what I just tried the problem here seems to be the conflict between painting an selecting.
In my quick test I could “solve” it by changing paint to RMB

@rontarrant Seems like it was a bug all along, and is now fixed as of this commit:

fix [#34143] Can’t Select Bones in Weight paint mode with Left mouse Selection enabled
use action-mouse for weight-sample and weight-sample-group rather then left mouse.

Alt+Left-Mouse more or less worked by accident, changing these keymaps makes it so Ctrl+LMB can be used for selection instead.

Thanks for this contribution, I like almost all the changes you made to the default shortcuts.
Will try it for sure!

Thanks, hope it’s useful to you :slight_smile:

Hi dphantom, I would very much like to try your keymap (border selecting with b has been a constant annoyance for me since I started using Blender) but I am new to “installing” a keymap from a file. I tried to import it from the input tab in user preferences but it doesn’t seem to work, tried it in Blender 2.63, 2.64 and 2.65. “BlenderUserFriendlyKeys” is the selected option in the dropdown and I see the new keybindings but still it doesn’t work.

Thanks.

@NinthJake It should just work like that, not sure what might have gone wrong with your import. Maybe something changed recently and it broke my keymap. Anyway I am uploading a new version try this new one for Blender 2.65 r54490 and newer.

Update Blender Userfriendly Keys R01- 12 Feb 2013 Blender 2.65 r54490
Rebuilt from scratch, Changes are as follows:

3D View:

• Added Shift Z for rendered view with Cycles
  • Double click selects objects during Weight Paint (avoids conflict with paint)
  • \ Toggles Isolate selection mode
File Browser
  • Shift select fills selection
  • Backspace goes to parent (instead of Back)

Original post updated

Thanks for the update, it works fine now :slight_smile:
(Well except that pressing “2” in edit mode triggers both face select and edge select :P)

As I said previously, having border select bound to “b” has been a major pain in the *** for me since I picked up blender over two years ago. I am SO grateful that you made this keyconfig and shared it, thank you so much :slight_smile:

You were wright, my mistake, 2 key has been fixed, and the links updated. Thanks for noticing Ninth Jake.

With all this I am finding out that Blender’s delete/import process of keymaps is not entirely clean, or safe.
Some times after deleting an old custom keymap and restoring the default Blender one, some custom entries are left behind and I have to press the “Restore” button manually, to delete duplicate keymaps.

So a note of advice if anyone is using these keymaps, before importing a new one, Delete the old keymap, reactivate Blender Default, and check for any left over “Restore” buttons, press them all, save user settings and quit Blender. Only then is it safe (hopefully) to re-import new Custom keymaps.

Yeah I have noticed that importing keymaps is very unstable. I got it to import correctly in 2.65 but I still can’t make it work in 2.64 which I use in my work (maybe it’s not made to work in < 2.65 builds?) even with a fresh install.

"…Changes to default keymap:
Selection:

• Select with left mouse button

• Click and drag for border select

• Consistent selection modifiers for border or direct select:
    [LIST]

• Shift only ads

• Alt only removes

• Ctrl toggles

• Double click deselects all… "
    [/LIST]

I really wonder how you will select any loops and rings now!?

1,2,3,4 not for layer changing, not for the views…hmm

Give a beginner this shortcut config and i think he will never discover blender.

Loop select doesn’t seem to be in conflict with these selection methods currently, I’ve had trouble in the previous versions but now, you can still select them as they override the unselect.
1234 only work for layers in object mode, in edit mode it’s quite fine, also I have a full keyboard so no problem here as I don’t use these keys for views either.

Anyway, as I said before this keymap was made for my personal use and the tools I use most in Blender, so it is quite probable that these keymaps generate some conflicts in tools I don’t use frequently, (like weight paint was mentioned before) so it is obviously not for everyone.