Using a curve modifier and applying it

Hi,

I’ve attached a blend file. All I did was add a bezier circle, then the cube. I scaled the cube a bit and duplicated it using an array modifer then ‘applied’ the array modifier. I then added a curve modifier and here we are.

If you like, please open it and move (g) the object (cube) on the X axis. You will see the cubes rotate nicely around the bezier circle path by moving the object back and forth on the X axis.

Common sense says “Ok I like the way it’s working and am finished with the curve modifier, so apply it”.

When I click ‘apply’ to apply the curve modifier, the object no longer rotates around the path. This is probably normal behavior so my question is this:

If I want the object to continue to rotate around the path, as it does without applying the modifier, is it normal procedure to just not apply it and leave it alone? Or are there further steps to apply the modifier and also have the cubes continue to rotate around the path?

Attachments

curve modifier.blend (443 KB)

This is probably normal behavior
It is

is it normal procedure to just notapply it and leave it alone?
If you want the curve to continue to affect the arrayed cube the don’t apply the curve modifier.
If you apply the curve modifier then the object will not know it has to follow the curve. That is what the modifier tells it to do.

Ok thanks. That what I suspected. It just seems odd that I would leave a modifer unapplied.