Using a UV texture map as a sculpt mask

Hello folks,

I painted a mask into an image to separate two materials in the shader tree and I would like to use it as a sculpting mask as well. Is it possible? I couldn’t find a way to do it.

I would like to use mesh filter inflate only in the white areas.

I don’t think you can do that by using a texture, but you can convert that texture to a vertex weight and then use geometry nodes to create a selection, and use it to create a mask in sculpt mode but it’s a bit complicated. Don’t you think it would be better to use a displace modifier instead?

1 Like

I think this is what you are looking for although you have to have some density for it to be nice. Tool > Texture > Mapping (Stencil)

EDIT: Sorry I just saw you wanted it UV mapped.

1 Like

Thanks Rodrigo,

You gave me an idea, maybe using a displace modifier and applying it, I could easily find where the borders are. I will have to sculpt every drizzle by hand, but it’s a start.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to shed some light here. Yes, it’s UV mapped.

Yeah, sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

If you are interested in the complicated method it would be:
Create 2 vertex groups and assign all the vertices of the object to each one of them with a weight of 1

Then add a mix weight modifier to your object and select your previously created vertex groups.
Under the influence settings, you are going to select the texture you want to use as a mask, set the texture coordinates to UV, and in mix mode, you set subtract.

This will change the vertex weights of the first group accordingly to your texture.

Apply that modifier and go to the weight paint mode and select weights and clean in order to have absolute values to use.

Now you can use the geometry nodes modifier and use to set a different material to that specific part.

Apply the geometry nodes modifier and now you have an object with 2 different materials applied following the pattern of your texture.
You can enter edit mode and select one of the materials to use as a mask in sculpting mode.

Yes, I know it’s complicated, but it does the trick.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! I will have to try it! It’s a complex solution for sure. Thank you very much for taking the time to share the entire process with me.
I’m still messing around with the solution of applying the displace modifier with the image projected using UVs.

Here is WIP:

Cheers,
Felipe

1 Like

I like the result so far. What do you think?

Thanks! It’s giving a lot of work sculpting but I like the results so far.
I’ve tried to follow your suggestion and I believe I’m doing something wrong because I was unable to separate the materials based on the vertex map. But don’t worry, I will do my research to find what I’m missing, you have already helped a lot giving me the path. Thanks

1 Like