Using Blender For DIY 3d printer-Need Script Help

Hey guys,
I am trying to make a homemade opensource 3d printer and need some help with programing a blender script to do so.
I need it to be given a mesh and the arguments(CutLine,HTotalCuts,Scale)
Hcuts will represent the amount of cuts into the mesh that will be transformed into a path.

Ok so what i want this script to do is use Hcuts and cut the mesh evenly with sort of a imaginary plane. The result of the cut will be a path(a list of x,y points) that CutLine’s plane makes that i will use to feed the 3d printer.
Could anyone help me with this?

Rewards will be credits and few free 3d model prints)if you pay shipping, probably a few dollars)
Thanks!

ardnat,

I’m not sure I have time to help with this, but maybe we can talk about your problem…

Are you using some sort of deposition head (like an inkjet printer)? It seems like what you want to do is create a grid of rays starting at x=0 and pointing in the +x direction. Each ray is one pass of the print-head. You would then intersect the rays with all the mesh faces and count the intersections: odd number is an error, indicating an open mesh. Even number, you have a list of on- and off- points for the print head - so you order the intersection points by their x-value, with the first point being “on”, second “off”, and so on.

Its a start :slight_smile:

RS

Thanks a ton rocket! i never acculy though about that but I think that might be more effective,
ok ill do a more in depth explanation of what i was talking about
I want to break up a mesh in to many different layers
so a side view with a mesh like this:

|----|
----|
—|

need to be broken down to
|----|
then
----|
then
—|

basicly i want to break each layer of the mesh up to so a sort of top view outline(a path). then i will make the 3d printer trace that outline and then fill inside of it, then go to the next layer to to top and repeat,
i am using a sort of glue gun head that will automaticly feed itself with a plastic cylinder(the modeling material), this is on a 3 axis motor system that allows it to move arround

Ardnat,

Not impossible, but I think you’re making it a lot more complicated than it needs to be :wink: I guess tracing the outline gives you a much smoother finished shape…

RS