Using Blender for Motion Graphics

@crazycourier Great to see ya here, used your btrace plugin in quite a few mograph pieces also. Don’t you think there are enough sites that talk about AE and motion graphics? Don’t get me wrong I use AE everyday. But I kind of feel this site should be more focused on Blender, now I do think it would be useful to show how Blender and AE can work together like exporting 3D models to elements 3D or transferring camera data back and forth. But I’m not sure about showing how mograph is done in AE.

But what does everyone else think?
matthew/mofx

@blendswap, I think you misunderstood me. I definitely do not think it should be AE mograph tuts. Only tuts showing AE and blender working together (vector pass, importing camera, etc).

@crazycourier, completely agree.

@blendswap, no, not yet.

@Crazycourier, blendswap:
I was a strong AE user, befor switching completely to OS tools. I believe that we can focused on Blender, but there are room for hybrid tutorials, as they can be a great resource for those who use both. :wink: I will try to focus on some quick tips to do in Blender some AE style motion. That’s what i was doing from 4 years ago!

I think it would be cool if it stayed within FOSS. For instance, using Openshot or KDENlive for video editing. I think at least 80% of what you can do with AE, can be done with Blender (specially if you count Python and OSL) so there might not be a lot of AE tutorials to do :stuck_out_tongue:

Another option would be making a planet site. Grab the RSS from several blogs and filter using a tag like “motionplanet” or something.

I’d like to see translation tutorials, that is recreating popular or basic effects from After Effects in Blender. As it’s not always obvious how to mix different parts of blender to get the same results.

I think at least 80% of what you can do with AE, can be done with Blender

As a daily Blender and AE user I would drop that number to about 60%. There are so many things that After Effects can do that you can not in the VSE very easily.

@Atom:
That’s a fact that i know. But having traveled across many “problems” to do the same in Blender, it is a really good idea to share this mielstones in a site of Blender Motion Grapics. :smiley:

Totally agreed with @meschoyez and @atom .- we should definitelly do this, it’s super great to teach how to transition from one software to an other, it was super slow for me to convert to blender when i didn’t know how to do the things i knew to do in maya… and the same thing still happens to me in regards to AE.
So it’s a way to show that blender is super versatile.

So anyone have some suggestions for the site name/domain?

I haven’t used the VSE much actually. I was thinking more about graphics, but I can imagine some things being complex to do (time remapping, rotoscoping, etc).
Speaking of rotoscoping, I found this fundraiser today: http://goodspiritgraphics.com/software/products/zorro/

yep, i’ve seen it yesterday; but IMHO i think that it’s versatile enough by now, i’m starting using this tools and it’s not so difficult. But it’s a matter of (i bet short) time that those tools become better.
@blendswap: with “vertexgrid” i was comfortable. :wink:

What about BlendGraphics for a name?

@meschoyez, before I was going to use vertexgrid because I owned it and I thought it worked. But I’ve since let the domain expire so we can look at a different name.

@DeadFrame ya was thinking about stuff like Blendmotion or BlendGraphics, etc.

Anyone else have thoughts?

i go with Blendermotion or Blendermograph.

+1 for BlenderMotion, or BlendMo for short

BlendMo is great. :smiley:

+1 on Blendermograph

Here’s my attempt at dissolving text (mostly a quick test)

Two things I learned while doing this: Don’t increase bevel resolution if you’re going to convert to mesh (and need good geometry). And always bake your physics before rendering.