Using nodes to simulate Film Grain - HELP!

Okay. I figured this wouldn’t be too tough an issue to tackle when I started, but it’s proving to be a bit too much for me and I would love some help:

I saw a tutorial on adding film grain to an image in GIMP. After reading it, and messing around with this method in GIMP, I thought it might be easy to reproduce using nodes within Blender.

Not so much. Can anyone review the tut, and give me a bit of an idea on where to go - what to do with it?

Many thanks,

Eric “GuitarEC”

i think it´s not that difficult.
Just use the noise texture (gives different noise every frame)
and play with different blur and sharpen nodes and the different blending modes.
that should give you some grain.

Yea, that what I thought, but I was also trying to get the part of the tutorial where the grain intensity is only seen in the mid-levels - the highlights and dark areas don’t show film grain as much…

That’s where I’m having the issues…

Eric “GuitarEC”

can you separate out the mid-levels by wiring a curves node into your grain procedure and Adding it over the original?

You could use the specular and shadow pass as a factor input for mixing the noise texture with the final output in the compositor.

why? Why not just composite “real” film grain over the scene? You can get some for free online, the Public domain has TOONNNNs of it.
Don’t make what you can get for real. Real is always better.

Opinion

Yes your right.
The best is from film itself composited on your footage.Even if the movie was shot digital like Planet terror,they mix it in with plug ins to get the look.

Since most of us are always on a budget,Public domain and VirtualDub MSU Old cinema filter,come in handy together,

I do think these effects can be done in blender,but I still trying to figure it myself.