Using Path Light Node to hide background image to the camera

Hello,

It’s probably as ancient trick as a famous silk road. I have background image which I am currently testing for my scene. In the first instance I have this node set up without Light Path node to make my background image transparent in which I use emission node to control background image brightness . It works :

In the second node set up I use Light Path (shadows ray) and my background comes out a little too washed out for my taste. So I try to crank the brightness by hooking up curves node but no matter what I do with curves it doesn’t effect background image in render:

What do I miss?

Thanks
T

Is this a Background or image on a plane?
If it is a background import the image into an Environment Texture Node if an image on a plane then as a standard Image Texture…

I do use “image as plane” for both node set ups. Do you mean set it up as a simple plane and hook up "image texture " to it ? If so i’ve tried it. Brightness has no control whatsoever.

Is that your Window? I ask because you are sending it through a transparency node…

I find that the image comes out way too dark and has to be bumped up…but that is just the image…stop it from casting a shadow…turn off shadows in the material setting way down at the bottom under Viewport display ( for cycles ) Eevee under AlphaBlend Mode

1 Like

Actually glass from windows have been removed. I should have mentioned in the post though. I guess settings are different then in the node group and in material settings right?

Not by that much…
I see now what you are doing… and would advise that you add an emissive node to the mix…and bring it in as Image as a Plane…as long as you are not adding glass the Light path node isn’t needed…here is a quick one using cycles…you would need to tweak it a bit for EeVee…

Same arrangement except plugged into the emissive…Light path Node and really the transparency node aren’t needed…and could lead to problems…and this needs to be set up for one specific window shot…

-I just re-read your topic and have screwed up…thinking you were after something totaly different…-

This is what I use when rendering and want to hide my Background images but still get the lighting…I use an HDRI in the world settings… and set up my nodes like this…

First with Light path disconnected…

and second with it connected…

Is this what you were looking for???