Using the last frame of baked hair

I’m having difficulty figuring out particle hair in Blender. I baked hair dynamics to let the hair fall in place, but I only want to save the last frame of the bake. I clicked “Convert to Mesh” on the modifier while the current frame was the last of the bake, and the mesh created hair in the position of the last frame. However, I don’t know if it is good practice to use a mesh instead of particle hair. Does anyone know if there is any difference in efficiency when animating and rendering between leaving the hair as particles, or converting to a mesh?

Also, is there any way to get and edit data for hair particles? I checked the graph editor with the emitter mesh selected but the graph editor was empty.

I heard about this a long time ago.
stylized (mesh) hair is incomparably quicker than simulation to bake and animate with physics, which I suppose also frees up memory for rendering. The example I remember was someone mentioning a lock of hair, parented to follow a vertex, and the vertex was the only piece that physics were calculated on. I guess it depends on what you intend to make in the end, but in short - yes, meshed hair has its place too, though mostly in stylized settings.

As for #2 - I think partcile nodes exist. I really don’t know though, I’ve been out of the loop for almost 3 years, just in time to miss everything about new node systems.