USS Cumberland vs CSS Virginia

CUMBERLAND VS VIRGINIA TN

USS Cumberland vs CSS Virginia

Launched 5/24/1842, sunk 3/8/1862

The USS Cumberland was the first traditional wooden warship to battle an iron clad. On May 24th, 1842, the CSS Virginia steamed north from the Gosport Navy Yard towards the Union blockade at Hampton Roads Virginia. At approximately 3:00 PM, the Virginia engaged the Union blockade ship USS Cumberland. It was a calm, windless day. The Cumberland lay at anchor off the coast of Newport News point. Without wind or tide, the Cumberland could not maneuver.

The Virginia avoided the Cumberland’s guns by approaching its starboard bow. Only the Cumberland’s forward swivel gun could be turned to fire at the Virginia; its broadside guns were useless. The first shot fired from the Virginia’s forward gun struck the Cumberland’s starboard bow hammock netting; destroying the gun and killing/wounding 9 of the gun’s crew. The Virginia took a position approximately 300 yards off the Cumberland’s starboard bow and proceeded to fire broadsides into the stationary target. Only the Cumberland’s forward pivot gun and 1st division guns (trained at maximum angle) could return fire, but the Cumberland’s cannons proved ineffective against the Virginia’s armor plate. The Virginia continued to fire for approximately 15 minutes. It then turned and rammed the Cumberland, punching a hole in the starboard bow. The Cumberland quickly started to settle nose-down. The force of the sinking Cumberland pushed the bow of the Virginia underwater, swamping her forward deck, and caused the Cumberland to list to port. The Virginia became temporarily locked in place with the sinking ship. Eventually, the Virginia’s ram broke off and the Virginia retreated to a broadside position alongside the Cumberland’s starboard. For unknown reasons, it remained motionless alongside the Cumberland. This gave the Cumberland an opportunity to return fire with its broadside guns. The Cumberland fired 3 broadsides into the Virginia at less than 100 yards. It destroyed 2 of the Virginia’s starboard guns and damage unarmored portions of the ship, but the Union guns could not penetrate the Virginia’s armor. The Virginia hailed the Cumberland asking them to surrender, but the Cumberland refused to strike her colors and continued to fire until her guns were underwater.

This scene represents the end of the battle. The Cumberland is sinking, but the stern guns are still operational and firing as the Virginia moves on to its next victim, the USS Congress.

Thumbnail

76 Likes

Nice, I enjoyed that.
Reminds me of the game Naval Action.

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

I bet you had a blast making this one! :laughing: :smiley: :neutral_face: :expressionless: lazy joke, I know, I apologize for you having to read that!
What doesn’t feel lazy at all is your awesome work :slight_smile: I’ve too made many galleons and I know that they can be challenging.
Thanks for sharing the story! It really places us in the scene!
Great Job!

bartv: Thanks for the feature. I’m honored.

rogper: the worst part were all the smoke domains. I’m still not happy with the smoke/fire, but I just got burned out tweaking domain and shader values.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Did you use any water sims for this project? I usually wound up just photoshopping the smoke in after spending days fiddling with smoke sims.

One of the reasons I did this project was to give me an excuse to work with smoke and fire. I didn’t know how multiple domains and a variety of smoke / fire settings would work together. My art skills aren’t good enough to add convincing post-render touch ups, so I have to do just about everything in Blender.

I used a water sim to create the splashes. I ran a couple simulations of a ball falling into a tank and then baked the geometry.

The baked splashes were placed like a particle system between the ships.

The main body of water is a subdivided plane with an ocean modifier and simple shader:

I also sculpted some additional water details around the ships and placed the sculpted geometry just below the surface of the main water body:

The shader for the sculpted water includes a little bit of foam derived from the pointiness attribute:

Wow this is amazing Thanks! The history and renders are great! I myself am right now working on a Monitor! Would you have any tips for me?

Such good work here! Love it!

What is the goal of your Monitor project? What do you envision as your final render?

I’m working on a Monitor project too. I plan on rendering it’s last moments before sinking in a storm. I’m mostly doing it as an excuse to play with dramatic night lighting.

hmm, I was just going to have it steam down a river, since this is my first huge project. But that is a good moment to capture it! I just have one question, do you think the smoke stacks are boxes, holes in the ground, or pipes because there are so many different drawings of it XD. Other then that I am doing great!

Well good luck on yours as well! Look forward to seeing it in action!

I think the smoke stacks were added after the battle of Hampton Roads. The sloped armor around the pilot house was also added after the battle. What you include on the model depends on what time you’re trying to portray. When she first went into battle, I think her decks were clear except for the square pilot house and the turret.

Thanks a lot! that is good to know! Good luck on your project! I really have not decided what time I am going for just yet. But just hope it will come out alright for my first render!

That’s really cool! You’ve given me the impetus to try and get back to grips with smoke and water sims. Thank you and thanks for sharing how you did this.

As to the Monitor, the smokestacks were boxes that were removed before a battle. The sloped sides to the pilot house were added after the battle as the pilot house took a hit from the Virginia and the Captain was injured. This is what she would have looked like during battle (with the sailors all below decks!) https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/OnlineLibrary/photos/images/h45000/h45970.jpg

I sometimes wondered if the crew of the monitor noticed how effective the sloped armor of the Virginia was and maybe that played into their decision to incorporate the angled armor into their pilot house.

Great models and setting. How many faces do the ships have? Quite a lot, I imagine.
It’s also kinda funny how modern the Monitor looks. A first attempt at stealth tech? :wink:

That sloped hull is kind of distinctive.

The Cumberland has about 1,180,000 faces. The Virginia has about 466,000 faces.

1 Like

looks great! i love historical reanactens…

May god… amazing!

So far this is what I have! But I am really looking forward to a full render. It has taken me quite a while to make all this! Just don’t know what composting to use XD

well hope you like it!

1 Like