UV Bump map

(Turrin) #1

How can I apply a bump map to a model while using the same texture applied in th UV method? I’m not getting the effect I want. Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Turrin

(theeth) #2

Apply the image as a texture and use UV mapping instead of the default ORCO (the green buttons in the material window).

That should help you.

Martin

(VelikM) #3

It goes something like this: Apply your UV texture, add a new material, click on the ‘TexFace’ button under the RGB sliders, add a texture ( image, the same one you used for the UV texture), click ‘UV’ (next to the shadow, shadeless, wire buttons), turn ‘Col’ off, turn ‘Nor’ on, set the ‘Nor’ slider to suit.

(Turrin) #4

K thanks guys

(ec2) #5

Turrin, did this actually work? I’ve been wondering if you could apply a UV map as a bump…

Anyone with confirmation of this technique, PLEASE let us know.

-Update-

Actually in my Blender 2.0 Guide it says it is possible so I will look into it, and try to figure out what needs to happen.

(theeth) #6

of course it works, I’ve been using this technique for ages…

Martin

(ec2) #7

Sorry teeth.

As a newer user, I’m glad to know that. So let me make sure I’m clear on this.

When I “apply the image as a texture and use UV mapping instead of the default ORCO”, Blender then applies the bump, in the same fasion as the user applied the UV in the image window. Correct?

(theeth) #8

exactly

that way, you can use multiple images with the same UV coordinates. So you can reuse the image, apply some changes and use it as a bump map, spec map, hard map, …

Martin
PS: no need to be sorry, everyone was new to Blender at some point, and you never stop learning.

(ec2) #9

SWEET! I wondered about this. In the future I want to set up maps like you described.

Thanks a bunch.

(Turrin) #10

This is what I came up with…

www.geocities.com/paulr1081/handtest1.jpg

Its not the best example I’m sure, but it may help.

Turrin

(ec2) #11

Very realistic hand. So you used the different maps types descibed above?

I really want to understand how to have light shine on a metalic surface for example while, not showing up on a rusty spot on the metal. Or light to shine on a tile and miss the grout. I know it has to do with SPEC, NOR and HARD, but I’m not sure how to manage them so to speak.

(theeth) #12

Spec is more or less a factor. It determines the strenght of the specularity point.

Hard determines the size of the specularity point.

Ref is a ratio, it determines the amount of light that actually light the material

Nor is a completely other thing, it simulate bumps by placing lighter and darker shades on the material.

I hope that helps you.

Martin

(ec2) #13

It does help.

So do I need to set up multiple materials to get what I described above?

(theeth) #14

not necesarely multiple materials, but multiple textures for sure.

I suggest you search for some info on the Stencil function, I think it could be of some help to you.

Martin

(ec2) #15

Stencil does sound like the answer to my question. From the Official Blender 2.0 guide:

Stencil (TogBut)

Normally, textures are executed one after the other, and laid on over the another. A second Texture channel can completley repalce the first. With this option, the mapping goes into stencil mode. No subsequent texture can have an effect on the area the current Texture effects.

I will have to experiment with this.

(Riskbreaker) #16

My eyes are getting tired right now, so i dont know or remember if this has been said at previous replies (as I am writing this, its now 3:01 AM)
but you may want to make a gray-scale copy of your UV texture and apply that as a bump as per method mentioned above.

(Turrin) #17

Also, explore the CSpec button in textures. what this does is forces the texture to only show where specularity is seen. I am not sure if this will give you the effect you’re looking for, but I suggest reviewing the texturing tutorial here on Elysiun. It is a big help in determining what all the texture buttons do.

Turrin