UV EDITING: Inconsistent behavior while moving pinned vertices in UV map

I’m trying to scale the UV map of a face I’ve modeled to increase the resolution of the important parts of the face (mouth/eyes/cheeks) and decrease resolution of areas like the neck and chest.

In order to do this, I’ve pinned some of the border vertices and am trying to move these (hitting “G” to grab/move). Sometimes when I move a pinned vertex, it moves and scales the whole mesh, which is the behavior I am expecting and desire. However, sometimes when I move a pinned vertex, it moves without moving any of the rest of the mesh.

(1) The UV mesh I am trying to edit. Notice the 6 pinned vertices.

(2) Notice that when I select and move the pinned vertex on the bottom right, the whole mesh moves and scales.

(3) However, when I select and move the pinned vertex on the top right, it moves alone, without moving the rest of the mesh.

Do you have any ideas what may be causing this behavior and how I can get it to behave consistently and as I expect? Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide for clarification.

Thank you!

Have you ‘Live Unwrap’ enabled

I’m trying to scale the UV map of a face I’ve modeled to increase the resolution of the important parts of the face (mouth/eyes/cheeks) and decrease resolution of are
You could just scale specific areas of the mesh with proportional editing enabled http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Fade/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Transform_Control/Proportional_Edit

Hi Richard!

Thanks for your response. I did try proportional editing as well. However, there are some things that the proportional editing won’t be sufficient for (say, orienting some of the UV map polygons right side up), so I’d still like to know how to properly move the pinned vertices in the manner I described.

I’m also just perplexed why the behavior works sometimes and doesn’t seem to work at others. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your response Richard!

I did end up just using proportional editing. However, I would still like to understand why this behavior occurred. It would be useful to have, say, in cases when I need to proportionally rotate sections of the mesh, instead of just proportionally scaling sections.

Any thoughts?