UV Editing: Snap to Vertex

Is there a way to do this in one step? I’m trying to stitch up areas separated by deleting unnecessary edge loops (I really wish it just updated the UV map appropriately), and actually using stitch isn’t working at all for most of the areas. Every time I turn on snapping with the magnet, the selected vertex/vertices won’t move at all, no matter what level I’m zoomed to and no matter what type of snapping I select (Active, Median, Center, or Closest). I just want to sew up these areas without having to do it in about 3 or 4 steps for each vertex (select, move the cursor to selected, select, move selected to cursor). Is there a way to do that?

Turn on snapping(vertex)

Thanks for your response. Assuming that is done by selecting vertex mode and clicking on the magnet icon, as I stated above, I’ve done that. What happens then is that the selected vertex will not move, no matter what I do, regardless of what snapping mode it is in (see above). If there’s another way to turn it on, I haven’t found it in the interface, manual, or tutorials, and I would deeply appreciate you explaining how to do so.

try in blender 2.49