uv face select mode missing in latest svn build

yeah, i agree its nice that we can now do that in edit mode, but i still feel a bit sad bout the Face select mode :frowning: ( ~nostalgia~ )

Oh, you answerd my question, too.
Thank you.:slight_smile:

By the way, In image edit viewport, UV mesh lines(gray lines) are not displayed when the texture paint button is on. Is that one of the changes of this time?

[EDIT]

nevermind… again…

[/EDIT]

how to mark seams now?

Select the edges, ctrl+E>mark seam.

I think that makes sense really… It can be quite intuitive this way too.

Lord of the Rings Junkie, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

:mad:Personally I hate the lack of UV Select Mode. Why? I was using this mode and edit mode (switching between them) for complexed select of faces. In Edit Mode pressing CTRL+L key after selecting one face selected whole mesh this face belong to. In UV select mode this method selected only faces bordered by seams. Now in Edit mode seams works like in UV Face Select mode. Result? One of greates thing I find in Blender - complexed select system lost one of its strong point. In Edit mode by ctrl+L combo I can select only faces inside seams border, not whole mesh. In simple object it is acceptable but no in high complexed.

So for me it is big step back in Blender usability. Still can’t understand why it was done? I think, that improving Edit mode is OK, but UV Face select mode removing - not.

At this moment for precise select for UV mapping anything I’am going to “normal” Blender and after, for using Kerkythea Renderer I go back to KT compile. And it is wayyyy slower.

Or instead was implemented other method for this and I miss it?

Just press L to select whole mesh.

Works only if I select face inside seams border. Selecting face outside and pressing L give: Error: Nothing indicated.

I tested it on a build from 22nd Nov and it works strangely. L command works without previous selection, it is based on mouse position over mesh, while Ctrl+L needs something selected before.

VERTEX & EDGE: Both functions ignore seams.

FACE: Pressing L in selects areas enclosed by seams, and Ctrl+L does the same! But making a command from Select menu (where is also Ctrl+L shortcut) selects a separate component of mesh.

It looks like a bugging bug to me…

Just try L once again, and it again select only aeras inside or outside seemed border.

In my opinion it would be better to stay with old system and improve edit mode only. Stable and tested.

Newest build (28.11) has the same behaviour.

Just curious about building blender. If I build blender from the latest SVN trunk on my Ubuntu 64 bit OS, is my resulting Blender automatically 64 bit and SSE2 optimised. I’m totally new to compiling my own. Is there something I have to change for an optimised build? :S

I think the combined edit mode/face select is a great idea, by the way.

Yes, should be 64-bit.

Also, if it’s AMD64, should add ‘-march=athlon64’ to the linux2-config.py file. Should optimize the build somewhat.

mrys: talk to the devs about it, then

I actually don’t know if i like this feature…
I found the old FaceSelect mode had nice properties: for example the object you are texturing appears in front of the others (like X-Ray for bones). And the faces weren’t transaprent (now you can click this “Occlude background Geometry” but it is yet ANOTHER click)…
Do we need to get rid of the FaceSelect mode ?
What does it REALLY bring ?