UV Mapping Explained

Here’s a video I made for beginners explaining UV Mapping and showcasing various examples of objects being UV Unwrapped in Realtime [Cube, Cylinder and the police car in the thumbnail, explaining where seams would be placed]. I hope you’ll find this helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hate the “Watching Seams” sounds but is very very useful. But, What happen when I had two separate projects and I try to join them together? How I could search for that?

I’m sorry, but when you mentioned “two projects” and “joining them” are you referring to objects being joined together or appending files from one project to another?

If you happen to have 2 objects that are UV mapped but joined them together then you’d want to make sure the spacing between each of the UV islands from those objects aren’t very close to one another or overlapping one another, it can cause texture artifacts (Textures overlapping on UV islands).

However if your objects are the exact copies, then you can have the UV Islands stacked on top of the other, an example I can give are the wheels of that police car; having them all together stacked on one UV Island can save up plenty of space for other objects to be UV Unwrapped. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Manson

Ty for the reply. Well, I Appended the Object over the first project ( I’m so sorry If I can’t explain it well) and, I used the key “Ctrl+J”. I still need to check the space on the UV mapped? Do they connect automatically? I’m so green…

I see, so you’ve joined the objects together (by using “Ctrl+J”). When you join the objects together, it would show you both of the UV Maps (the main object and the other object that you’ve joined it with). However, you’d have to move the UV islands from one another to make space. You can also go to the “UV Editing” tab shown on the top of Blender’s Tool bar area.

If you can provide screenshots of the project that you’re working on to see what you’re trying to do, that would be great.

Kind regards,
Manson

1 Like

Here is the problem:

I’m a TS4 CC creator and use the Blender 2.70
usually the UV mapp appears immediately, like this:

:sob: :disappointed_relieved:

For the first image, try to click on “+” icon

It should open a new window and prompt you this:
If you click on where it says “Generated Type” And select “UV Grid”
And click “OK”. Hopefully it would show you the UV Maps of that mesh. Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Manson.