UV Mapping Islands Stuck Together?

I’m fairly new to Blender and I’m in the process of UV Mapping my model for texturing and I’ve done something which has caused a problem. I’ve been placing UV Islands on top of each other aligning each vertex using Weld / Align X and Weld / Align Y. Most of my layered islands remain separate and I can [G]rab and move them independently. However, other islands have become stuck together and I’m unable to [G]rab them independently. I’m not sure what I’ve done to stick them together so any insight would be appreciated. I’d like to un-stick them if possible so I can un-layer them.

I’m using Blender 2.59.

On a side note, is there a better way of precisely aligning islands other than Weld / Align X and Weld / Align Y? This two step process is somewhat tedious as I select a group of vertices [B] hit [W]eld to bring up the menu and select Align X then [W]eld again and Align Y.

Many thanks!

Hi AtomicPlatypus, see if this helps.
There’s a button in the toolbar of the UV editing screen that when you run your mouse over it it says “Keep uv and edit mode mesh selection in sinc” If that’s checked some of the verticies will stick together. it’s next to the rotation pivot dropdown.
Hope this helped.

On a side note, is there a better way of precisely aligning islands other than Weld / Align X and Weld / Align Y? This two step process is somewhat tedious as I select a group of vertices [B] hit [W]eld to bring up the menu and select Align X then [W]eld again and Align Y.
On the header of the UV/Image Editor window is a magnet icon. When activated this turns on snapping. You can set the snapping to vertices/faces/edges.

Thank you for the feedback! Indeed the issue was resolved by unchecking “Keep uv and edit mode mesh selection in sinc”. Then, using the face selection tool I was able to isolate the top layer by selecting only its faces and then move them off the bottom layer.

Cheers!

That little button bit me in the butt too many times. Now I look for it. And it’s useful sometimes.