UV mapping or procedural mapping for architectural visualization

While watching a the UV unwrapping tutorial on blender cookie there was comments made about in hard surface modeling such as for architectural visualization that procedural texturing could be attractive due to the number of elements.

My project has thousands of elements that would have to be unwrapped. Many of them rather large. By large I mean air ducts that are upwards of 5 feet across and well over 100 feet long, walls that are hundreds of feet long and a floor that is tens of thousands of square feet.

This is all being put in the BGE for a walk through so the client can see the building before ground is broken. What recommendations would you make for how I texture this?

I’m starting to think that UV wrapping should be done on the smaller elements and procedural textures on the large elements. I also have an extremely large number of lights to work with. I was planning on baking the lights and shadows but don’t know if there is a difference between UV or procedural texturing.

Any recommendations or criticism would be appreciated.

EDIT:
I also have a large number of repeating objects that need to be able to be reorganized as the project evolves and the design matures. I don’t know if that’ll make a difference. To keep the concept simple, assume I have 50 different different pieces of equipment and furnishings that will be moved frequently.

procedural is great for bumps or natural-looking patterns. Mixing them, large and small scale procedurals can be good, but on the other hand you will miss dirty, decay and man-made painting. In the end of the day, if you want realism, UVs are essential. Of course, you may bake the procedurals and hand-paint them with dirt, decay and all the goodies… :slight_smile:

edit
of course, typical archviz renders lack dirt and decay completely, or even bumps in the walls: these things would look ugly in the eyes of costumers. Only artists see beauty in well textured decay… :o

in other words: forget most of your UVs, set your materials right and just grab a realistic renderer to properly handle the lighting…

I should have included that this is of a new building that’s not going to have any dirt, decay or other environmental or man-made defects. It’s more for the client to see the building it’s it perfect state than for showing them what it’ll look like 10 years in the future.

If you’re going to using the BGE for a walkthrough, I think you have to use UVs.