UV mapping problem

I’m going through some tutorials to learn UV mapping. The problem I have is that the textures don’t show up in the render. I read that you need to turn on the UV button in the material settings, but it won’t turn on! As soon as I press the button it pops back out again to the Orco one.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Is this in one of my tutorials ?

http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/index_anglais.html

Then maybe there’s a point I should make clearer ?

Anyway, to use the UV button you must first uvmap the image, as you did, and still use that same image as an image_map texture in F6. The UV button still applies only to classic textures will now refer to the uv coordinates you gave to your object. This is great for bump mapping and consorts.

Now, a quick and dirty (and not as potent) way to make your uvmapped texture to show at render time is to check the Texface button in the material buttons F5 and then render.

Hope this help and give info if it was one of my pages please.

Jean

Ah it works now, your tutorial did not show up in my Google search. It’s probably one of the best written tutorials on the subject out there :slight_smile:

Now though I have the problem that subsurfs are distorting my texture map :-?

The question was discussed in this thread lately :
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13121

Subsurfing requires to develop quite a nose for it : in other word a lot of practice. I shudder at the idea of every detail a really good tutorial on the technique would have to develop.

Myself I succeed in predicting the effect on textures by playing on the closeness of successive edges.
have a look at this and that
and see how the texture mapping is different in each case.

Yet, an alt+Ckey just before uvmapping is a lot easier to manage.

About Google : I say ‘uvmapping’ instead of ‘uv mapping’ and that is enough to derail everything.

HI Jean, new to the site here and saw your info on UV Mapping. I am new to Blender and tried doing the tut you did. It worked up until changing drawtype to wire then couldnt see the face anymore. What version does it work on? I tried following another tut, (think it was yours) and things were different (way you get to the same result) but when I got to hitting the wkey subdivide was not on my version and i couldnt find it. I have the new version 2.27…thanks

SngnArtist

I guess that you mean the projection box tutorial.
http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/Tuts/boite_de_projection/boite_de_projection005_en.html

I use the same color theme all thoughout the Blender section so the visitors could always know where they are. Since I speak of UV mapping on two occasions it could have been mine.

My tutorials work on 2.23 and up, at least, I never used Blender before 2.23

It worked up until changing drawtype to wire then couldnt see the face anymore. What version does it work on?

In ‘wire’ drawmode it is impossible to see the faces, only the wireframe. A little lower in the tutorial I speak about using ‘Draw Faces’ which indicates the faces by drawing a yellowish polygon at the center of them. Othewise, one has to come back in the shaded drawmode to really see one’s faces.

I tried following another tut, (think it was yours) and things were different (way you get to the same result) but when I got to hitting the wkey subdivide was not on my version and i couldnt find it. I have the new version 2.27…thanks

SngnArtist

The shortcuts are context dependant : if you are in object mode (pink selection) Wkey will invoque the ‘booleans’ (also called CSG) dialog. You must go in edition mode with TAB, the one that shows you the individual vertices, and then Wkey will show you ‘subdivide’ at the top of the dialog that pops up. Select at least two vertices of one edge and it’ll get subdivided.

Hope this help.

Jean[/quote]

I put on drawfaces didnt do anything. Also the Wkey does bring up things to choose but not subdivide. thanks for replying

You are very welcome, anytime.

Now these news are strange : try reinstalling Blender 2.27. Maybe download from the link on the home page here at Elysiun ? That what I do.

The Wkey menu is context sensitive. It will only include the subdivide option is you are in Edit mode.

Martin

I told him that. Has to be something else.

I told him that. Has to be something else.[/quote]
Unless he has done a custom build, then it has to be it, there is no other reason the Wkey menu would not list subdivide in the options.

Martin

Ouaip!
Myterious.

ughh I posted a whole reply to this and hit submit and it brouhgt me back to login page grrrr. This is the fifth time trying to post…I got smart and copied this so I can just paste lol Here we go again…I am a she not a he…common mistake with a few of my different nics I use :slight_smile: I had it in edit mode when using the w key and I get a list but nothing with subdevide. I don’t have a custom built 2.27 I only know how to use proggys not build them lol. Only thing different I might have you dont is an add on to blender vrml2exporter.py made by Rick @ vrmlworld.net…but that wouldnt have anything to do with the proggy itself. This is a mysetry to me too and I will try it again when I have time. Maybe my comp is playing tricks on me :smiley:

God heard our prayers !

:wink:

Welcome to Blender and Elysiun.

Jean

God heard our prayers !

;)[/quote]
Amen, I can stop sacrificing lambs!

Ok, seriously, when you press W, what’s the options that are given to you?

Martin

SngnArtist, that’s a very cool link, albeit inadvertant. I should imagine that system could be extremely useful for networking. Thanks for mentioning it!

%<

Umm are there no woman memebers here? :smiley: Ok now I’m getting the right thing with Wkey. I guess I was in face mode which doenst give you subdevide etc. I am very new to this so am trying to take it all in. I notice now the Wkey gives me different things in edite mode and normal mode also. Also didnt see anything about W key on your box tut so must have been on someone else’s tut. I am however getting stuck at ("do a selection by color on the white part and fill in that selection with a color of your choice)

ps the reason I have gave u guys that link is if you need a vrml2exporter thats where one is available. I chat currently at CT (cybertown) and need it to upload with…if I can figure out uvmapping…because the exporter doesnt recognize anything that isnt a mesh and normal textures.

[quote="IamInnocentNow, a quick and dirty (and not as potent) way to make your uvmapped texture to show at render time is to check the Texface button in the material buttons F5 and then render.
Jean[/quote]

You said that it was the quick and dirty way and yes it does work. What is the correct way and btw I know that English is not your native language but its the “Edit mode” not the “Editon mode” But that is a very minor point.

i have a question, what method do people generally use to UV map? i know how to do it, but what is most peoples’s process, mapping wise?

It’s hard to guess for everybody although I get a lot of mail with questions on UV mapping…

My feeling is that the ‘from window’ projection mode gets used at least 80% of the time.
For the heavier cases export in .obj format to UVmapper to make a grid/template, painting in Photoshop, the Gimp… etc on the grid back into Blender, touching up…

Jean