UV-mapping tut wanted

Hi! I am a blender head since the days of version 1.5. wich is about 5 years or so ago. There are not so many secrets left for me in blender except the one that I fear to face:
I never managed to do some UV mapping. Yes, I read some tuts on this sub years ago but it did not seem to work so I dedidet to avoid UV-mapping as long as it is possible to go the other way. But today there is no way out, I have to meet a deadline and my klient suspects his logo placed on his product (a marine-searchlight).
Can anyone give me a link to a pricisely written tut on UV-mapping?

My problem seems to be in the beginning of the process - what ever I select in UV-mode does not refer to the UV-editor. Got the feeling I missed some basic point.

Ulli

perhaps you missed that most people split their view so they have both a 3d view and an image window [which shows the UV coordinates]?

I’d suggest you search on this fourm, but apparently UV isn’t something you can search for

however, a search did reveal these threads:
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19378&highlight=tutorial+mapping
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27024&highlight=tutorial+mapping

as for the new UV mapping abilities [LSCM] I don’t know of a tut

essentailly:
in edit mode, define seams by selecting them and pressing control+e
in face select mode you can use the L key to select regions not going over seams [turn on draw seams on the right in the edit buttons to see them]
press U, choose LSCM
you can LSCM unwrap multiple regions at a time

also, pinning of verts and stuff

in the image window, when doing lscm unwrapping, you can
press control+p with several verts selected from a lscm section
[preferably have only that region selected, or pin all other verts]
enter grab mode on at least one of those verts
while in grab mode, press the L key
as you move the verts the mesh will be re-unfolded. this allows you to warp your uvunwrapping

if you hadn’t had other faces pinned or not visible, they would have been re-unwrapped as well [actually I haven’t tried pinning verts and stuff since it was in tuhopuu, so I don’t know if the behavior has changed], which could very easily result in you having to re-uv map most of your mesh

You may wish to look at my tutorial here

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27024&highlight=complex+uv+mapping&sid=35f934f46a2dc4ad19eff6f4fabda5e2

It is from before the 2.34 LSCM mapping feature. I have made a tutorial which explains LSCM mapping but it is in video form 20 min. / 48Mb. If you have a place I could ftp it to I would be happy to send it to you (I am currently looking for a permanent place to host my video tutes).

Just to apply a logo may not require UV mapping and a simple decal might be sufficient.

http://www.ingiebee.com/tutorials/Decal Mirror Modelling/theeth decal.htm

Hope this helps,
GreyBeard

I was a bit confused with Uvs at first and I avoided them exactly the same. It was the basic principle of what UVs actually do and why they are useful that I didn’t get. I don’t know what the other tutes say but hopefully this’ll help out:

UVs are coordinates that relate which parts of the texture show on which area of the model. These UVs don’t usually exist by default on Polygons or subdivision models. They do on NURBs because NURBs models by nature all unwrap to perfect squares.

To get round the issue of having no texture coordinates (UVs) on the poly models, you project these coordinates using well defined mathematical objects which you generally match as closely as you can to the model.

Go into an empty scene and add an 8x8 UVsphere in side view. Now enter UV faceselect mode and make one of the other panels show the UV editor. If you press ‘a’ in the 3d view, you select all the faces on the sphere but they appear in the UV editor as triangles. That’s because they have texture coordinates projected from the standard 1/1 model by default, which isn’t very good for spheres.

The shapes which match the sphere well in terms of shape are sphere and cylinder. But you’ll notice that they still produce UVs that are a bit messed up. The UV calculation box in the editing panel (F9) helps a bit with more alignment options (this appears in UV face select mode), but it’s still not good enough usually.

That’s why the new LSCM is handy because it gives a lot more flexibility and it’s much easier to produce UVs that won’t stretch the textures. Take the sphere for example, go into front view and in editmode select the middle line of verts. Now press ctrl-e and make a seam. The do u->LSCM and you get a nice, even UV pattern.

This pattern you export to an image using UVs->save UV face layout. Then you open that in a 2D editor like GIMP and paint over the lines. I usually draw into a separate layer so that I can still view the original wire. When I have the painted image, I save it as an image file and load that into Blender. Now the UVs match up exactly with the painted image.

Finally, remember that before you render, you have to also add the image that you loaded into the UV editor as a texture for the object and map this to UV instead of orco.