UV Mapping Tutorial

Hi Folks:

Im no genius with blender, but I am learning. One of the areas that I’m not particularly good at is UV Mapping and editing. There are a bugzillion tutorials out there. What I am interested in are the ones that you folks have found to not only be CORRECT, but also USEFUL and UNDERSTANDABLE. Can you please point me to the ones YOU like

Thanks
TIM

It’s not really that complicated. UVmapping is basically just cutting your mesh so that it can be flattened and laid on top of a texture for the purpose of associating the covered pixels with the faces of your mesh.

Here is a good tutorial on the subject:

Ok, so now I am gonna show my ignorance. I was given to understand that UV mapping was the be all and end all of texturing. I am working on a log home project, and have a texture that I have built, which I have been applying using texture coordinate node and a mapping node. I hook the vector of the mapping node to the object output on the texture coordinate, and hook the vector inputs of my various image textures to the output of the mapping node. seems a lot easier than unwrapping, going into GIMP and all that. Am I confused, or is that a valid way to do the texturing and save a bunch of time?

TIM

lol, no thats actually the point of object mapping. There are actually a lot of ways to apply textures to objects. Object mapping is one of the things you can do to avoid having to UV unwrap an object. It just isn’t suitable for every type of object.

The object output of texture coordinate node uses auto-generated coordinates that are based around the origin of the object you are working with. When you used this output, you set it to ignore your UVmap. In case you were wondering, the generated output is similar. It just works with one corner of the object’s bounding box instead of the origin (the bounding box is an imaginary box that contains every vertex of your mesh).

Here is a video on manipulating these types of coordinates:

These outputs are mostly just used with either procedural or tillable textures. If you were to texture something like a character, then you need to make a UVmap. That is the only way to explicitly tell 3D software which pixels should be used for specific parts of your mesh (unless you count assigning different materials to different parts of an object).

When you paint an object in the viewport in blender, I don’t think there is a way to paint without having a UVmap assigned to your model. If you are just need a tiled texture, then you can try setting the texture node to “box” and using object coordinates.

Cool, I’ll look at that video tomorrow, I’m kinda out of it tonight :slight_smile:

Thanks again
TIM