UV mapping with alpha

Hi there, I’m fairly new to Blender. I’ve only ever used Blender for extracting models from games and editing / applying to textures to them so I can build paper models out of them. The models always come with both UV co-ordinates already assigned, and their proper textures. However, I don’t know how to get the alpha channel to work with these textures. The transparent part always takes on the color of the surrounding pixels. Could someone please explain what I am supposed to do in simple terms? I am not very familiar with the different terms and what-not. Thank you!

Do you mean the alpha channels on the color maps are not working?
Or that the alpha maps aren’t working?

If the alpha channels on the color maps aren’t working properly, try pressing the premultiply button on the texture in question at the bottom right of the textures pannel.

If it’s an alpha map that isn’t working, make sure the “CalcAlpha” button in the textues panel is un-pressed.

Err… sorry, I don’t quite get what you mean. What I do to apply the texture is select the object to be textured, go into edit mode, and open the right image in the UV / Image editor… where do I go from there? The texture panel only has the preview window open (No preview, just the little window with buttons.). I can post a picture if needed.

Edit: I have noticed that one of the faces in the object whose texture should have alpha is dotted when selected in edit mode. If I go to the “Texture Face” panel, and choose “Alpha”, the images alpha shows up, but only where there is alpha on the dotted face. If I choose “Clip Alpha”, that alpha section becomes sharper. Would it be possible to make all of the faces dotted? What do the dots even mean?

Edit 2: Never mind, solved my own problem. I needed to select Alpha or Clip Alpha from the Texture Face panel and then hit copy.