UV Mapping

I recently finished modeling a fairly high-poly B-17 and am now trying to texture it. Before now, whenever I did UV mapping, I would always just map the individual faces, because the models were usually simple and it didn’t take long. Now, however, I’m trying to texture-map this B-17 and I don’t have any clue how to do it without spending forever mapping each individual face. I tried using the unwrapping tools, but none of them seemed to really do what I wanted. I don’t have a good texture for the model, so I guess I really want to be able to use texture painting to paint the texture on it. Is there a way to unwrap the model so that each face is given a specific portion of an image that is unique to that face only, and then when I paint on one face, it won’t also alter other faces? Or should I try to texture it some other way?

Hi,
In edit mode you could select all the faces and then “mark” the seems, then in UV mode do an unwrap, this would place each face in UV space.
I would NOT do it this way, it is way to hard to figure out where your painting.

I would use the Unwrap tools as uch as i could then move and stich the Uvs the by hand, takes a while but you get ths best results.

P.S. If you like you can PM the Model and I can see how I would UV it for painting

FR

I guess you mean tecnique called LSCM? Well, you don’t choose all the faces. You just select edges as you want to cut the model into pieces. Then you can join them if you want.
Heres is a LSCM videotutorial.

Ps. I would like to see that plane too, even a render if not the blend file.

I guess you mean tecnique called LSCM? Well, you don’t choose all the faces. You just select edges as you want to cut the model into pieces. Then you can join them if you want.

Yes I was talking about LSCM. In part of hyperutilas post he asks:

Is there a way to unwrap the model so that each face is given a specific portion of an image that is unique to that face only, and then when I paint on one face, it won’t also alter other faces?

The method I sugested, would allow each face to be placed in UV space without any further effort.

Yes cutting groups of faces then joining them by hand is IMHO the best way to handle task.

FR

2.40 now has Live LSCM where you can even sphere unwrap a mesh of a head and pin desired verts and pull your UVs into any shape you’d like to paint em. Truely awesome, Blender just keeps geating more and more amazing.

Yes, LSCM is very powerful way to uv-map an object and has improved greatly.
I think it’s the best way to uv-map complex objects.
Here is some info about improvements and video about live transform.