UV Mapping

I have spent many frustrating hours attempting to texture a model to no avail. It would appear that I am incapable of creating a color map for human skin. I have been using Blender for quite a while now, but have been avoiding UV mapping my textures like the plague. I have attached the model I am working on. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction as far as texturing it? So here are the questions I would love to have answered, if you will.

I have set up my UV map, but I have no idea if I need to adjust it or not.

I began by taking pictures of myself and tried to use the cloning tool in Photoshop to paint the skin, but that ended up looking horrible.
Is that a good approach? Should I continuie in that venture, just get better at it?
This is a model I made using myself as reference. I am trying to make it look as much like me as possible.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Peter.blend (829 KB)

Not a bad go of things. I would cut the head so that the face is separate. As one piece with those seams, it’s difficult to make the face large, and you do want the face to be large as it is a focal point, so you don’t want to have pixelized tectures, caused by not giving enough resolution to the face in the UV area.

You have jig-sawed things around but could do a little more in order to make the most of the UV space available. Turn bits diagonally if you have to. Those legs should be more retangular in their layout.

A good trick-of-the-trade is to put a checkerboard pattern UV pattern on so that when you render, you can see how detailed each area is. It helps to scale areas in terms of importance to the final detail they will need.

Remember that CTRL-L will select and entire island, whereas CTRL-V will start shifting the area within that island for a good fit.

I left a thread in the tests subforum awhile back, that has a mini tut on how to paint a model without leaving visible edges where the seams are. I didn’t look at the file, but some advice I like to give to people who are learning UV mapping, is to imagine reverse engineering a suit. the idea is, you have a suit, with no seams, and you want to make it into a sewing pattern. so you make cuts in a way where it will lay out flat. that way you can avoid nasty stretching of UVs. The thread is called something about seamless UV painting btw.

Thank’s much for the responses. I had no idea the Ctrl-v function existed, so that’s definately a step in the right direction. Seams haven’t been a big issue for me yet, but i will check out that tutorial too.