UV Packing Wrecks Orientation of Islands

Hi guys,

I’m creating a game asset, and to maximize resolution I’m stacking UVs for the repeatable parts. The problem I’m having is that when I use the UV packing option, it skews some of the islands by flipping the x and y positions of the vertices (not rotating, but actually changing the x values to y values and y to x). Here’s what it looks like before packing:

Then when I pack, (keep in mind I unticked the rotation box) I end up with this result. Pack UV

Does anyone know if it’s possible to correct this? Or is it just a problem with the packing function?

Thanks,
Samuel

1 Like

Since it is packed then you could R-Click and Mirror X and or Y without losing the pack.

Thank you for the response! Unfortunately, I tried this before and it didn’t work. I think my written description of the problem doesn’t really explain it well, so here’s the problem visually.

See, it’s essentially rotating the island 90 degrees, then squashing it down on the Y to create the same shape, but the vertices are in the wrong spot. I know it’s doing this because those are the operations I did manually to undo it. Thus, mirroring has no effect. The problem is that it doesn’t do it to all the faces, just random ones so I end up with some in the correct orientation, while others not.

OK…I see that is what Packing will do always…
For your example…here is what I would do…
Assuming you have an image…then take the Left plane and rotate 90 to get it aligned with the right plane ( selected vertices on bottom )…and using snap to vertices…place it on top of the right one…Or after you rotate you can select the left one only in the 3d view ( hover over and hit L…then scale to image bounds…then do the Right one…
Sav Martin here on Blender Artist has his Free TexTools which is GREAT and can help…
For better ideas, I would need a specific UV with Texture to help out further…
and of course, a better packing addon would help…but most of the ones I have seen cost. Like UV Packmaster Or UV Toolkit or

Okay, that makes sense! I’ll give that a go and see what I get. I was just hoping not to have to do much cleanup manually, but it’s certainly less of a hassle than having incorrect UVs.
I’ll check that tool out, thanks!
If I’m still having issues, I’ll provide the model and the baked normal map so you can see the issues firsthand.
I’ll also look into the other addons, because if they solve my issue, I don’t have a problem paying a little bit.
Thanks again for you help! I do appreciate it.

Just wanted to give you an update. I ended up buying the UV Packmaster addon and it’s working super smoothly. It’s packing correctly and resolved the issue. So it must just be a problem with how the built in packing function in Blender works. Thanks for helping me out and letting me know about the addons! I really appreciate it.

1 Like