[UV Packmaster] Efficient UV packing solution for Blender (C++ based, multithreaded)

commercial
add-ons

(PaperBenni) #243

When is the add-on coming to 2.8? Can anyone confirm that it will?
I’m about to buy this but commercial add-ons always kind of worry me because they are so dependent on a single person/team. They get just left behind too often when the creator doesn’t develop them anymore. All of the work gone into it is basically gone when it isn’t compatible with the latest blender version anymore or just plain outdated. In when you stop development, could you open source this so that someone can fork it?

(ByteC) #244

PaperBenny, a Beta is already available over at Gumroad, as Glukoz has mentioned some entries above…

Cheers!

(Tosky) #245

Could you add a feature were you click a button named like “optimize padding” that automatically set the padding based on the uvmap resolution?

(bassig) #246

Looking forward to try the new features! Also great to see a first 2.8 version released.

(Rossco7) #247

Haven’t tried the update yet but love the UV grouping by similar islands feature. It looks great! :smiley:

(glukoz) #248

Thank you for reporting the issue with multi object editing in Blender 2.8 - off course we will fix it in the future releases :slight_smile:

One more thing about performance optimizations we introduced in the last release: instead of giving general statements I would like to provide you with some exact numbers.

A UV map used for benchmark:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz

First paramater set:
Iterations: 200
Rotation Step: 90

Packing times:
Release 1.82: 201 ms
Release 1.90: 96 ms

The new release is aprox. two times faster. But the best thing is that the larger Iterations parameter value, the greater relative performance boost can be observed:

Second parameter set:
Iterations: 500
Rotation Step: 90

Packing times:
Release 1.82: 1705 ms
Release 1.90: 590 ms

The new version is almost 3 times faster! The conclusion is: if you haven’t updated to the release 1.9 yet, do it immediately. And it doesn’t matter if you use the extended or pro variant - optimizations affect both variants equally :slight_smile:

(Andreas Buehler) #249

Hi!
This add-on looks really promising - and seeing the many comments made me purchase the pro version immediately. But I’m having an issue with actually using it:

I installed it like every other add-on (install from file -> check box), but the tab on the left side does not appear. Nor can I find it in any of the other tabs… What should I do?

(fiendish55) #250

its located in uv editor not 3d view.

(spydurhank) #251

And Tab into edit mode.

(Andreas Buehler) #252

Thanks so much!

(Wojciech Wiśniewski) #253

Hi, great addon. I have been using it in Blender 2.79 but wanted to try it in 2.8. This is what i`m seeing in Blender 2.8. This is probably due to 2.8 beta but still i wanted you to know of this issue :slight_smile:

(glukoz) #254

Thank you for the notification :slight_smile: We will check it. Could you write what operating system you use?

(Wojciech Wiśniewski) #255

Yes, I`m using Windows 10 Home :slight_smile:

(glukoz) #256

RELEASE 1.91

• Minor performance optimizations in the Python part of the add-on
  • Yet another fix in the UV validation code. In the previous releases crashes might happen when validating UVs - this releases fixes it so we highly recommend updating if you use this feature a lot.
  • Blender 2.8 beta: add-on now handles multi object editing.

Remember that the add-on version supporting Blender 2.8 is in beta - we do not recommend using it in production.

I just got the 1.91 extended beta for Blender 2.8 from gumroad, but I get the same screen as Hasae.
Blender console spits out the following whenever I hover the mouse over one of the fields/boxes of the plugin:

File "C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\uv_packmaster\__init__.py", line 338, in draw
    row.label(feature_not_supported_msg)
TypeError: UILayout.label(): required parameter "text" to be a keyword argument!

Windows 10 Home here as well.

(glukoz) #258

Thanks for providing a log :slight_smile: It turned out that the issue was specific to the extended edition only. I did a quick fix, it is available in the new release:

RELEASE-1.91.1:

A fix for the extended edition of the add-on with Blender 2.8 beta. Update is needed only if you want to use this specific configuration.

Awesome, thanks for the quick fix, will try it out later today!

(oscurart) #260

Hi Glukoz.

Blender 2.8
24 december 2018 Oficial build.

(glukoz) #261

Thank you for reporting the issue. It looks like it is caused by a change in the Python API of the newest release of Blender 2.8. You can except a fix soon.

(glukoz) #262

Release 1.91.2:

Enable the add-on with the latest Blender 2.8 builds.