[UV Packmaster] Efficient UV packing solution for Blender (C++ based, multithreaded)

add-ons
commercial

(glukoz) #81

Botoni, it looks like an error in the stream. Could you send us a blend file containing a faulting island? It would help a lot if we could take a look on it :slight_smile: (You can scale entire 3D geometry to single point if you don’t want to share your work).

[EDIT] Make sure you are using version 1.41 because it has a hotfix for topology analysis.

(Botoni) #82

Sure, i’m sending it to you through a PM :wink:

Edit: Yes! i’m using 1.41 :+1:

(gritche) #83

I have the same problem, I can not buy the same product twice …
could you fix it?

(glukoz) #84

It turned out that one of your islands had invalid topology (area close to 0), but add-on couldn’t detect it because of a bug. Fortunately we have fixed it so you should not experience this issue in the next release. Thanks a lot for your help! :slight_smile:

If I may ask: does everybody experience issues when trying to buy the extended version after they downloaded the basic version? Can anyone confirm that you could do that without any complications? I am wondering whether everybody is affected by this or only part of users… And if only part, how big this part actually is.

(gritche) #85

Screenshot_6

I think the problem comes from the fact that both products have the same names
can you change that?

(Botoni) #86

That was a quick fix!
No, thank you, this addon es awesome and so much needed.

(Piotr Adamowicz) #87

Zero area should not be considered invalid topology. You often shrink some islands to 0 because you just don’t need them taking up texture space since they’re hidden. Zero-area islands should just be left alone (since you sometimes want to place them over a pixel of a particular color).

(glukoz) #88

I agree, but is there any point of packing such islands?

(Piotr Adamowicz) #89

No, they should be just left alone and not throw an error.

I haven’t actually tested this, just saw something about zero area islands and errors, so if that’s what happens already, that’s great :slight_smile:

(glukoz) #90

Ok, I agree such behavior would be convenient for a user in some cases, but not necessary always, for example if user simply forgot to unwrap an island. Anyway it would a nice option to add.

(Piotr Adamowicz) #91

As an option, sure. Or maybe as a separate ‘Find 0-area faces’ button.

(glukoz) #92

Shame on gumroad they don’t support so basic functionality.

Ok, I’ve created the separated product: https://gumroad.com/l/uvpackmaster-extended

I have also added the new release 1.42 with bug fixes (including a fix for Botoni).

(Botoni) #93

Well, then there’s my case. I automatically generate high poly meshes from CAD files (step, iges…), then import them into Blender, make a low poly version, automatically unwrap it and bake the normals from the high poly one to have a moderately efficient version to render the product for our catalogs, web, mockups with real pictures, etc.

A lot of "automatically"s there, so the mesh is quite messy and also are the UV unwrap, but that’s not a concern as long as it looks good and the workflow is fast.

The efficient packing comes handy to get better normal map textures with more pixels utilized with the same texture size. So it’s great to have the option to ignore all the quality checks and just tightly pack the UVs :sunglasses:

(percisi0n) #94

I have been looking into a UV program that will take into consideration scales of objects and pack the UVs into different sized textures so that every object has the same pixel density when viewed in 3D. If it were a 2x2x2 cube, it would take a quarter the amount of space on a 4k texture as a 4x4x4 cube would. Furthermore you could set the pixel density, so that you could set the pixel per inch to be, for example, 128 pixels per inch in the 3D world. I am unsure if the ‘Use Texture Ratio’ function does exactly this or if this is a feature that may be in future updates but I would love to support this software if that were a feature.

(JoseConseco) #95

One problem - Uv packmaster is also packing hidden islands, if they are selected (but hidde). I wish hiddenn islands would be ignored during calculations.

(glukoz) #96

I am wondering whether ‘hidden but selected’ is a valid state in Blender at all. Note that such state is not valid in case of bmesh geometry (see https://docs.blender.org/api/2.79a/bmesh.html “Keeping a Correct State”). I would suspect that it is also the case of UV data. To be honest I do not even know how to achieve such state using standard Blender interface - when I hide UV faces they are deselected automatically…

(JoseConseco) #97

Here is example blend fille:

All uv are selected, but part of them are hidden, because in 3d view- only part of mesh sphere are selected.
When you pack above file, you will see empty places, that are being taken by ‘hidden’ us shells.

(cadmus_sw) #98

I noticed there’s a Pro version now. How do users of Extended version update their addon to Pro? I may be missing something, but I haven’t seen any way to do that yet.

(glukoz) #99

JoseConseco, I see, it turns out the UV geometry follows the different logic that the standard geometry. Anyway, we have a fix for your case and it is already available in the new version:

RELEASE 1.5

This release provides the new version of the add-on: professional.

The features currently available in the professional version:

Lock Overlapping: treat overlapping islands as a single island

Group By Material (Experimental): make sure islands sharing the same material are packed together. This feature is experimental: especially it can block when used together with ‘Pack To Others’ option in case no appropriate place is found for an island in the unit UV square. In such situation simply press ESC in order to cancel the process. For some UV layouts it is required to use the ‘Heuristic Search’ option in order to obtain a decent result from the grouped packing

Advanced Heuristic: use advanced methods during a heuristic search. With this option enabled add-on will examine a broader set of solutions when searching for an optimal one. As the number of solutions to check is much bigger it is recommended to use longer search times in this mode. Note that in many cases this method provides best results with ‘Rotation Step’ set to a large value (e.g. 90 degress) because such setting considerably increses the number of packing iterations which can be performed in a given time.

Why the professional version? Well, implementing advanced features for the add-on costs us a considerable amount of time. It wouldn’t make sense for us to work on this without a perspective of some additional refund. At the same time we are aware that there are a lot of people who simply don’t need such features. Forcing them to pay for something they don’t need is the last thing we would like to do. We think that introducing another add-on variant is a prefect solution to this problem :slight_smile:

And answering cadmus_sw question: in order to update from the extended version to the professional version you only have to pay the difference between what you already paid and the pro version price. So all customers who paid 15$ or more for the extended version get the professional version for free :slight_smile: Send us an e-mail with a update request and we will send you back a discount code. Make sure you send a request from an e-mail address you used for buying the extended version. The same rules apply to all who donated when downloading the basic version.

You can watch the professional version video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-kK4r730s

(Tosky) #100

After an uvpacking a “measure area” message should be automatic so that way we keep the mouse on “pack” and click to it straight away until you get better coverage. As it is now, even thougt “measure area” button is just above “pack”, is still a bit annoying to move the mouse to click that same button after any re-packing.
Peraphs a “measure area” message could even be triggered when you hover your mouse cursor upon “pack” button?