UV texture list bug?

Greetings.

Blender 2.45 on 32 bit Kubuntu 7.10 Linux

I can not get the blender bug tracker to return any search results. Hitting “Search” it just seems to search forever.

Can anyone tell me if the following is a bug, or something I just don’t understand about UV texture lists?:

Situation:
You have a mesh with no UV mapping.
You select UV face select mode, which automatically creates the first (empty) UV texture in the UV texture list.
You select some faces, unwrap, and assign an image.
You then click “New” in the UV texture list, to create a new UV texture.

The new UV texture automatically contains the UV map from the first UV texture. In other words, the new UV texture is not empty.
Is that a bug?

I doesnt matter if you deselect all faces before clicking “New” - the map from the first UV texture is automatically in the new one.
In fact, the effect seems to cascade. If you add a new mapping to the second UV texture, and press “New”, the third UV texture automaticalley contains both the maps from the second UV texture. And so on.

It puzzels me because:

Situation:
You have a mesh with no UV mapping.
You select UV face select mode, which automatically creates the first (empty) UV texture in the UV texture list.
You then click “New” in the UV texture list, to create a new UV texture (which is also empty).
You select the first UV texture, select some faces, unwrap, and assign an image.
You select the second UV texture, select some faces, unwrap, and assign an image.

The first UV texture contains only the one map you created for it.
The second UV texture contains only the one map you created for it.

Why does the first situation copy existing maps to new UV textures?

Any enlightenment?
Or should I report the first situation as a bug?

Best regards :slight_smile:

Johnny :slight_smile:

“New” and entering UV Face mode creates UVs for faces currently selected in Edit Mode. Unselect faces in Edit mode, or make sure that only desired unwrap faces are selected in Edit mode before entering UV Face Select / New UV button.

2.46 works differently, unwrapping those faces selected in edit mode (since you unwrap from edit mode) making this connection much more obvious and intuitive.

“New” and entering UV Face mode creates UVs for faces currently selected in Edit Mode.
Thank you, I already knew that (but of course you didn’t know that I knew ;))

Unselect faces in Edit mode, or make sure that only desired unwrap faces are selected in Edit mode before entering UV Face Select / New UV button.
Sorry. The problem persists no matter if nothing is selected in both edit mode and face selected mode.

However…

The “New” button is also present in edit mode, and pressing it in edit mode, with nothing selected, in fact creates a new empty UV texture.

Why doing the same in face select mode does not do the same, I don’t know, but now we know a very easy “workaround”.

Thank you for the inspiration PapaSmurf :slight_smile:

2.46 works differently, unwrapping those faces selected in edit mode (since you unwrap from edit mode) making this connection much more obvious and intuitive.
Aggreed.

Best regards :slight_smile:

Johnny :slight_smile: